News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 01:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: trans. dipstick marks  (Read 2882 times)

Offline timemachine

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
trans. dipstick marks
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:29:22 AM »
Hey all,

My 81 sx4 6cyl 3 speed auto came with a broken dipstick and some tranny issues.  In order to keep from stalling out I need to start in 1st and shift up manually.  There is also no kickdown on climbs and stop/starts (also manual).  I figure a good start is to figure out the level and condition of the fluid. (I realize the broken end of the dipstick is probably in there too.)  The eagles at the junkyard that still had tubes had their dipsticks gone.  I figured I could make one out of a longer dipstick if I had the measurements from the bottom of the cap to the marks. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks, Derrick

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
Re: trans. dipstick marks
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:39:29 AM »
Derrick,

I can measure my 85 with 998 later today if that helps. 

Doc
(aka Dereck :})

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »
If you do not get a kickdown you will have no use for a dipstick. the lack of a kickdown will tear up your trans quick.

Manitowoc WI

Offline timemachine

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:57:32 PM »
Thanks Doc, that would be great.  What does anyone think my next move should be?  Am I looking at a replace or rebuild?  Are there any adjustments or exterior case things I can try first?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »
Do you have the kickdown linkage? That would be the first thing to go after.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »
Ok, so from the top of the dipstick cap, so basically the top of the fill tube 17" to the full hot line, 17.5" to the add one, 18 & 7/8" to the tip...

Offline timemachine

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »
Right on! Thank you. I'm going to see what's up right now.

Offline timemachine

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
Well at least the fluid is clean and red.  If anything a bit too full.  Also, apparently it all worked fine before the car sat for two years if that is significant. I couldn't find anything about kickdown linkage in the 81 service manual so I don't know what to look for.  I know I have come across it in my travels in the nest but I don't remember what thread it's on.  I have used the preset topic search but is there a word search on this site? 

Also, question from mudkicker's post... what kind of damage will I have done driving it in this condition?  500 miles of getting it home, 20 mile commutes to work and various diagnostic joyrides.  Haven't noticed any changes yet in the feel of the drive. 

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:54:28 PM »
I've had two dipsticks break off there, it's a weak point in them.

If the throttle rod is bad all kinds of problems can happen, that's how the transmission knows what to do. The original 81 transmission should be a narrow range with lockup, and a locked torque converter will stall you at a stop.

Even though the fluid looks good, you may want to change it out if you're not sure how old it is. Over time the seal conditioners (and the other additives) get used up, and fresh fluid will help the old dry seals swell up and do their job again.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk