News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 09:22:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How is radio mounted/supported?  (Read 5666 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
How is radio mounted/supported?
« on: February 02, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »
So, I got an AM/FM Cassette from Gronk (thanks gronk!) and I'm ready to install it in my SX/4 but I can't figure out how it mounts.

I know it and the tuning and volume knobs go through this bezel

and then the nuts go over top of the knob posts and hold it to the bezel.  I think the radio/cassette player weighs about 10 lbs so I can't imagine that nothing but the knobs in the bezel support the radio/cassette player or I'm sure in quick order the bouncing in the car would break the bezel.  I've looked in the car and don't see any mounting brackets that would support the radio/cassette although there is one bolt extending from the right side of the radio/cassette that looks like it might go into a mounting bracket.  Trouble is if I hold the cassette roughly in place and look up from that bolt there's no place for a mounting bracket above there as the defroster ducts are in the way.  How is this radio/cassette supported in the dash?  Is there supposed to be a bracket underneath the radio/cassette player to support all that weight?

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: How is radio mounted/supported?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »
That's where I'd expect a bracket, but I can't see anything under the dash one would hook it too, the plastic defroster vent is right above that.

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »
the radio rests on the dashboard it self there must be a  L shape white plastic at the back to prevent from sliding backwards the radio pod only holds the radio not its weight
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »
Somewhere in my stash I have a bezel with the radio still attached (and it's a heavy radio too).  I can't remember whether that radio had a bracket at the back.  I removed it from a 1980 Eagle about a year and a half ago.  I'll dig it out either tonight or a week from now when I return from vacation.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 07:37:12 PM »
Never taken apart an Eagle, but I have seen several pre 1990 car's with the radio held in without a bracket, just the nuts on the radio knob posts. Whether or not they came like that from the factory I'm not sure.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 08:15:27 PM »
Somewhere in my stash I have a bezel with the radio still attached (and it's a heavy radio too).  I can't remember whether that radio had a bracket at the back.  I removed it from a 1980 Eagle about a year and a half ago.  I'll dig it out either tonight or a week from now when I return from vacation.

Thanks, Dean.

Never taken apart an Eagle, but I have seen several pre 1990 car's with the radio held in without a bracket, just the nuts on the radio knob posts. Whether or not they came like that from the factory I'm not sure.

I've seen that on cars with metal dashes, but I'm sure on the ABS Eagle bezel it would break fairly quickly  if you did that.

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »

I've seen that on cars with metal dashes, but I'm sure on the ABS Eagle bezel it would break fairly quickly  if you did that.

I did a mid 70s Mustang, and it was a plastic dash with a metal plate behind it wedged against the plastic.. cut to the same shape. Is it just plastic?

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 08:34:25 PM »
Yes, its just plastic.

Offline amkfken

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »
On my SX/4 the radio slips into a metal support with a metal clip on the bottom.
This is the way the original am/fm cassette was mounted, replaced with an am/fm/cb,slips right in the same way.
The plastic trim does nothing to hold the radio in or support the weight.
There is no other bracket at the rear or side to hold or support the radio, I assume this is it as the car is completely original and unmolested.
There are three kinds of men;
1.) The ones that learn by reading
2.) The few who learn by observation
3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

'51 Henry J--'58 Jeep FC 170--'63 Comet Conv.--'67 Marlin
'06 Liberty(Mom's)--'96 Grand Cherokee
'83 SX/4 Sport-- 84 Dodge Rampage

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 10:48:17 AM »
On my SX/4 the radio slips into a metal support with a metal clip on the bottom.
This is the way the original am/fm cassette was mounted, replaced with an am/fm/cb,slips right in the same way.
The plastic trim does nothing to hold the radio in or support the weight.
There is no other bracket at the rear or side to hold or support the radio, I assume this is it as the car is completely original and unmolested.

Thanks amkfken.  Perhaps I can fabricate something to support the radio from underneath, whatever was there was missing from my car.  If anyone has a picture of this metal support that would be very helpful.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »
the radio rests on the dashboard it self there must be a  L shape white plastic at the back to prevent from sliding backwards the radio pod only holds the radio not its weight

Yes, I played around with it some more today and I see that if one lays the radio on the dash above the heater controls it fits into the bezel at the right level.  I still however have nothing to keep the radio from sliding backwards but this makes it easier to fabricate something to do that.

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 05:57:57 PM »
told ya !. the plastic retainer must be missing. had the same problem few years ago.hope you can make something to replace that plastic thing
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk