News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 05:54:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Options have me screwed up  (Read 1895 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Options have me screwed up
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:05:27 AM »
I'll start by saying I like these little Eagles. I think they're great but built wrong. Too much electronic garbage in my way. I have so much low end torque but it's barely any good because of my 1spd transfer case and my high gearing. The Eagle is a select drive vehicle and I want to increase my overall range of power in both worlds. I'll take care of the low range with a newer transfer case. The other part is confusing. I've been crawling the junkyards for awesome parts and by awesome I mean totally sweet. It's like Christmas every weekend and I currently have enough options to make the next Jeeper drool himself silly. The problem is, I'm not sure where to begin or if I should change my focused efforts. I don't know what will give me the best result.

First, what I've got:
My Eagle has the stock 258 engine and a 2BBL Carter-Weber. I've got two more of these stepper buggers but the only overhauling I plan to do with them involves a stick of dynamite.
I have a straight downdraft 2BBL Carter I pulled from an 80 CJ5 last week and a cleaner copy I just pulled from a 78 Concord this afternoon.
I have ONE rebuild kit for these carbs and this is where it gets messy real fast.

This morning I went into the picking yard and found a sweet little 69 Hornet sedan that was there for NO other reason than a broken driver side door handle. I'm not kidding. My heart just about threw itself onto the I-5 when I saw it perched in the very back of the lot. Hasn't even been sitting there a whole day and I got the very first pick. The engine is interesting too. It's a cute little 232 block that makes the engine compartment feel very empty. The air cleaner, manifold and carb are different than what I've seen and the coolant, wiper fluid, alternator and battery positions are mirrored to the Eagle. The wingnut is part of a long axle that threads into the carb through an upside down(or is it?) air cleaner assembly. It's easily the manliest thing ever. Under the cleaner, you can instantly see how the Carter YF works. Fuel just flies into the airhorn and gets shot straight into the manifold at a rate comparable to my endless cola addiction. I bet this used to be a real hotrod. I have questions about this block and the carb. I don't want to use a 232 engine, or do I? Is the 1BBL ideal for what I want? Does the head swap onto a 258 and what performance gains would I see from going that route?

Then, there's THE BEAST. In the same lot as the Hornet and Concord, there's a pristine looking 92 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 HO head I've heard so many great things about. I finally broke the headbolts loose but it got a little too complicated for me after that. Everything seems stuck but there's so much electronic garbage in this tiny engine compartment that I'm thinking of giving up. Does it really make sense to put a 4.0 head on a 258 block? What would happen if I did that to a 232 block instead? Favorable or no?

What would you guys do in my situation with these available options?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Re: Options have me screwed up
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:15:58 AM »
4.2 block/4.0 head.  You could always go 232 block and punch it and add 4.0 head but why?  I  would never restrict myself down to a 1bbl intake.  Ever try running while wearing a snorkle mask?
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:35:33 AM »
4.2 block/4.0 head.
This is what I expected to hear from all of this considering the popularity of a 258 block with a 242 EFI head. I finally have some reassurance in this matter. Thanks. So I guess the 258 block and 232 head won't fit or is a bad choice?
You could always go 232 block and punch it and add 4.0 head but why?  I  would never restrict myself down to a 1bbl intake.  Ever try running while wearing a snorkle mask?
Something told me this would be troublesome. My mind is still wandering a bit though. How would one go about improving the 232 engine? Does the 258 manifold bolt up to it? I imagine a 2BBL carb would make that tiny block roar to life in a heartbeat.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 09:21:32 AM »
You can put a 4.0 head on a 232 as far as I know, it will be the same as a 258.  The 2bbl intake will fit but you have to swap the exhaust manifold too.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk