News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 07:09:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clutch Hose  (Read 2243 times)

Offline DESA

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 1983 sport wagon 1983 GMC 6.2L 3/4 ton
Clutch Hose
« on: December 30, 2011, 02:37:18 AM »
I bumped into a fellow today asking if I knew what the rubber hose from the master cylinder to the Slave in our manual transmission eagles looked like? Apparently he has a Jeep project that needs this exact part he thinks he can build it but needs a good photos or diagram or what it looks like...I don't own my 5 speed manual eagle anymore so I wasn't much help but I knew exactly where to ask....Any bites on this question ..
1983 AMC sport wagon
1988 AMC white wagon
1987 AMC parts wagon
1983 GMC 6.2L 3/4 ton 4x4

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: Clutch Hose
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 08:03:23 AM »
I had written something about how to make a replacement clutch hydraulic line out of two pieces of auto-parts-store pre-flared steel tubing with the correct flare nuts to match the clutch master and slave, and a flexible rubber brake hose with the correct ends to match the SAE nuts on the tubing. Bend the tubing to match the shape of the original line's hard upper and lower sections, and the flex hose goes in the middle, where the original part had the flex line. Below I have a pic of the flex hose I chose to use on my Jeep YJ, dunno the part number anymore, attached to the two pieces of hard line, before bending.

Remember - no teflon tape for flared fittings - you plumbers oughta know better. Get a good set of flare nut wrenches and use penetrant on old flare fittings - and try tightening a bit first to "break " it free before trying to back off any fitting that's been tight for over a month or so. Want your fittings to come off easily in the future, you can use a drop of engine oil between the tube and fitting before tightening. It'll collect dust for a while, so wipe it off occasionally until it stays clean on its own. Someone is gonna bark at me sayin, "Then how will you know if the fitting is leaking or not?"(because of the oil). Trust me, you'll know if its sealed - it won't hold a bleed if its not sealed, and the pedal will get spongy.

For remote master cylinder reservoir replacements - look to motorcycle parts. Several bikes have master cylinder reservoirs suitable for use on an Eagle. Be sure to use brake fluid approved hose to attach the reservoir to the master cylinder. Brake fluid will eat up regular fuel hose, so don't be tempted to use it. If anything, buy another suitable length brake flex fose from whatever application you find cheap and suitable and cut the swaged end off of the hose and use that to attach the reservoir to the master cylinder. If you are smart, you'll find an application that threads into the master cylinder, then you only have to cut off the end you'll be using for the reservoir. Below is a pic of the clutch hydraulic setup I have in my gold Eagle, showing the motorcycle remote reservoir, some VW specialty shop blue brake fluid proof hose, and a full length stainless steel flex line with swaged on -3AN fittings, if you want to go full custom.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:12:22 AM by txjeeptx »
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline DESA

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 1983 sport wagon 1983 GMC 6.2L 3/4 ton
Re: Clutch Hose
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 02:16:28 AM »
TxJeepTx  Thank you so much that couldn't have been a better explanation or photos of what I was looking for. I sent off all the info along with the images to the person in need and I have a feeling he is going to be very happy  ;D...Major Good egg to ya and have a Happy New year!
1983 AMC sport wagon
1988 AMC white wagon
1987 AMC parts wagon
1983 GMC 6.2L 3/4 ton 4x4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk