News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 06:07:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: vacuum and/or timing?  (Read 4603 times)

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
vacuum and/or timing?
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:22:04 PM »
On the 88 -
computer bypass
Motorcraft carb
hotter ignition upgrade
all new
It starts fine and idles OK.  It will rev up OK and run OK at slower speeds.
At higher speeds (35 mph or so, maybe less) it bogs down and cuts out.
The dist was initially turned counter clockwise from where the 83 dist is set.  The 83 runs great except for high idle, which will not be dealt with until the 88 is straightened out.
I tried turning the dist clockwise to match the 83 but it wants to quit running well before it gets that far around.  It starts sputtering and tries to quit if I move it just a little.  Turning the dist farther counter clockwise makes the idle speed up.  I've been trying to set it back where it was but it runs worse than before I started messing with it.
It pulls only about half the vacuum it should, and the vac doesn't improve when increasing motor speed.
I so far have not been able to find a vacuum leak.  I wonder if I removed something I shouldn't have but if so I can't find it.

Gronk, and others, feel free to offer input if you think of anything. 
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: vacuum and/or timing?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:29:13 PM »
Sounds like a bad carb.

Manitowoc WI

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:22:59 AM »
This is about the 88, not the the 83.  The 83 has no problems except the fast idle.

The 88 has the brand new Motorcraft carb. 
I have tried several new fuel filters. 
It idles fine and does not die when I rev it. 
I have sprayed WD 40 around the base of the carb and around vacuum hoses but did not have enough WD40 for a good test.  I have since then bought more and will try again.
It idles low enough that if a vacuum leak is the problem I should be able to find it.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 02:01:40 AM »
Fuel delivery is the biggest thing at play here. Either fuel pump or carb.

Manitowoc WI

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 11:05:51 AM »
Jim,  just saw the thread.  I'll definitely help.  Can you upload installed pics to this post?  I'd like to open up for everyone to see and hopefully we can resolve quickly.

Of course, if we can't, I will replace with a new unit.
At higher speeds (35 mph or so, maybe less) it bogs down and cuts out.
The dist was initially turned counter clockwise from where the 83 dist is set.  The 83 runs great except for high idle, which will not be dealt with until the 88 is straightened out.
This statement concerns me a little because 2 distributors are being compared based on visual appearance.  You need to know the actual #'s.  2 distributors can look the same but be 20degrees difference.  I might even suggest checking the advance diaphram on the dist.

I've had a couple issues with the brand new ones over the past few months.  Nothing major but they are more pickey than the ones I build.  One negative aspect of a brand new one is "I" did not build it, meaning I have not been through the carb from A-Z.  With anything manufactured, there will be flaws from time to time and the only way to catch them on a brand new carb is to install and run it 1st.  I have taken 3 returns on the brand new carbs (out of 500ish) and replaced them and everything was good to go.  After receiving them back, I 100% broke them down and built them as if they were 40 years old.  The finished product was perfect and an great.  I'm not discouraging anyone away from the brand new ones, just my $.02 worth.  I support them just as if I built them and will replace if needed.

1 more note, I use several different devices to stay connected to the net as much as possible.  When using mobile devices and traveling I have a difficult time staying current on nest posts because the posts get marked as read and they don't "pop up" when I hit the nest again from my desktop.  If I don't reply to a thread you are waiting for comment on, shoot me a message and I'll get back on it.  Chances are I just don't see it.  I sell and support over 100 kits every month so it's not difficult to fall behind and lose track.

Get some good pics posted and we'll get going. (Take the air cleaner off 1st)
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline wagonmaster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:20:53 AM »
i would be suspicious of the accelerator pump in the carb or the vacuum advance on the dist. the fact that it starts, idles and revs ok leads me to the accelerator pump. it is also possible the fuel pump is not keeping up   

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »
These are all things to check when there is more daylight and hopefully warmer weather.  I think a major contributing factor is my messing with the timing.  I'll tinker with that and try to get it back where it was.
The fuel pump is essentially new and it would be a big coincidence if it went out just at this time.  I'll try to see whether there is plenty of gas getting to the carb when I rev it up.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »
Chances are the accel pump is just fine, the linkage rod connecting the accel pump to the throttle could be an issue if it's bent.  Could also be spring tension at the shaft.  Can you get some pics up?
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »
Pics will have to come later.  It's too cold and dark when I get off work.  I may be able to get some this weekend.
I wasn't having these issues before the upgrades.  It has the same new new fuel pump, several new gas filters, same linkage.  I still suspect I did something wrong concerning vacuum and timing.   Well, I know I did something wrong with the timing.  The first thing to do is try to correct that.
My time to work on it will be limited - heck, probably nonexistent, the rest of this week.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 02:45:11 PM »
If vacuum and timing are off nothing will work right.  I'll help you sort it all out.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 11:48:47 AM »
Finally had a chance to look at this again.  I'm off work for jury duty this afternoon so I took the morning for myself.
I loosened the dist, and loosened it too much, I suppose.  I bumped it and turned it halfway around.  I tried to put it back and start the car.  I had to jump it, but it started fairly well and idled.  I turned the dist until it seemed to run best.  I drove it a short way, up to about 45 mph.  It's not right, it still bogs a little, but I think it's close enough that I can get it to someone with a timeing light.
I have a small fuel leak at the top of the fuel pump.  The fuel pump is new.  The fitting won't tighten any further.  I may have to have a new metal line made up.
I also have a noisy exhaust leak at the front.  The shop I use will work on the Eagles (if I give them enough money!).  It's also a brake/tire/exhaust shop.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk