News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 10:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need advice on springs please!  (Read 4320 times)

Offline FartingEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Need advice on springs please!
« on: November 20, 2011, 09:53:16 AM »
ok I have saved up some dough so it is time to get Monica some new suspension- I plan on having the local shop )lesSchwab) do the work.
Help me out here as this is all new to me- I am thinking new coils in the front and new leafs in the rear
any advice on which company to purchase from would be appreciated- I found lots of info here but it all seems to be about leafs that have gone flat from one company or another...
Any advice would be great!!!

Thanks

Offline FartingEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: Need advice on springs please!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:04:34 PM »
Hello anyone home?
Anyone that can recomend a reputable company for leaf/coil springs for 86 Eagle??

:eaglebig:

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 10:49:43 PM »
I got my coils from Espo.  They lifted the front of the car for sure.  I had my leaf springs built by Alcan spring out of colorado.  I had them build them with 1.5 inches of lift and with the Espo coils the this is pretty close to level now.  I would call around and see if you have a spring shop around.  Most of them are pretty much on it and will make you a custom set for a decent price.  My alcans are great but they were like $180 a spring. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:42:59 PM »
Stock or lifted? I bought a set of Concord/Hornet wagon V8 front coils from work (NAPA) and I'll find out soon if they lift my wagon at all. (I'm going to do a before and after measurement then allow a few weeks sag time) The old coils will go into my Pre-runner Spirit
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:40:06 AM »
They aren't Eagle OE springs (no longer available) and the ride height/spring tension are rated differently from the 4wd to 2wd wagons. (they sit taller unloaded, but slightly lower spring rate)
   If they don't lift the wagon back to stock height (which is my aim) then I'll pull them back out and put them in the Spirit. Since the Spirit is planned to become a pre-runner, and maybe even 4x4 later, it will need stronger front springs anyways.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:56:48 PM »
I wasn't happy with my new rear leaves, and if you search there is a bunch of discussion on that. I put assists on mine. Others have added air shocks or heavy duty shocks that have a coil-over spring built in.

Cherokee springs sound the best so far. I have plans to hit the junkyard and combine a set of leaves with my old stock top spring for both my AMCs. I've got to save up a few $$ first.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 11:47:58 PM »
I bought coils from ESPO and the definitely lift the front of the 88 more than I wanted.
I put coil overs on the back of both the 83 and the 88.  I had bought leafs from ESPO and KC Springs for the 88 and both were flat when installed.
The coil overs ride like an iron wheel wagon with no springs.  It's a good thing I'm tough.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 01:20:56 AM »
*perks up* Espo made it too tall? Maybe if the coils I have for a Concord V8 wagon don't lift mine as high as I want we can trade?

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:00:57 AM »
Hello anyone home?
Anyone that can recomend a reputable company for leaf/coil springs for 86 Eagle??

:eaglebig:

it would really help if we knew where you live.

Offline FartingEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 08:23:40 AM »
Oregon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk