News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 03:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No torque.  (Read 2373 times)

Offline misterwakko

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 13
No torque.
« on: December 13, 2011, 01:35:21 PM »
Hey peeps. Havn't been here in a while but need some help.
I have a carter and an hei ignition installed. Timing tet to
8 degreeze BTDC. Feels slow on passing and if I roll up to a curb, come to a stop against the curb and slowly try to clime the curb..... :-\ she won't go over it. I will floor it and it won't pass 2100 rpm and still won't go over the curb. With a moving start of course it will but I feel a 4.2 should have the tourque to go over it. Wodering if it's timing or something else. BTW all advance on hei is in my 1900 rpm.
Hope for the best,
Prepair for the worst.
It's allot easier,
when you know it's going to hurt.
1985 AMC Eagle
1977 Yahaha xs750

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: No torque.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:03:20 PM »
I'm guessing you don't get any detonation on full throttle? How new is your harmonic balancer? They can slip after a few years and you may be a few degrees off.

I'd try moving up to 10° or 12° first and listen for any detonation, it just sounds like not enough advance. Certain stock combinations called for a little more, and you've changed things.

Also, are you sure you're getting a good kickdown on the transmission?
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline misterwakko

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:23:47 PM »
I'm guessing you don't get any detonation on full throttle? How new is your harmonic balancer? They can slip after a few years and you may be a few degrees off.

I'd try moving up to 10° or 12° first and listen for any detonation, it just sounds like not enough advance. Certain stock combinations called for a little more, and you've changed things.

Also, are you sure you're getting a good kickdown on the transmission?

In this senerio it doesn't ping. On the highway at full throttle it will ping by 3200 rpm. So I have to lower the initial timing. My total advance without vacuum is 22 and pings by 3500rpm. With 20 it doesn't.
Kick down linkage was adjusted.
Hope for the best,
Prepair for the worst.
It's allot easier,
when you know it's going to hurt.
1985 AMC Eagle
1977 Yahaha xs750

Offline EAGLEYE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:38:08 PM »
does it seem to shift fine. try it in 1 (low).it possible the trans isnt starting out i 1st. when its in drive or maybe the torque converter??

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
That's odd, then... any indication that it's running too lean or rich? Especially at WOT?
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 01:26:16 PM »
Remember, your HEI requires the full 12V and you should wire it directly off the starter solenoid!

Also, your timing should be set at 650RPM, not 1900RPM so you are probably retarded quite a bit.

make sure your vac advance line is plumbed into ported vacuum!!!
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 11:00:56 AM »
Gronk's answer sounds like my own reply (or the first thing I would check) Also make sure there is a ground wire on the coil if it's the in-cap style (it'll take out the module and pickup coil soon if it doesn't!)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk