News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 24, 2024, 08:10:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Binding in Transmission  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
Binding in Transmission
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:08:25 PM »
I've got one of my rescue birds on the road as a daily driver and have the second one very close to go condition. I have everything done on the brakes and motor repair, stole the rear axle out of my sx/4 and put it in. Now I backed it out of the garage and something underneath said CLUNK and I could feel it either hit the floorboard or the crossmember. Bummer! So I put back in the garage lifted all 4 wheels and went for a ride.  Something seems to be binding in forward and reverse but I can't locate what it might be as of yet. Got the old bugger up to 80mph in the garage with a helper (to cover the brake pedal so I didn't end up with a drive thru garage) and I looked under at the driveline but didn't notice any visual wrongdoings. So I baked the car out again and put it in the street so I could rebuild the front end on my kids' Charger. When I went to put the Eagle back in the garage I could not get it to go forward up a very slight grade without killing until I got the car on a more level section of ground. I got it back in the garage and am ready to go back underneath to try to locate this malfunction. What I'm looking for is input, suggestions, from anyone who might have dealt with this issue in the past so I don't waste as much money, effort wasted time trying to fix the problem.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Binding in Transmission
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »
Auto or stick? I had the automatic trans output bearing cage come apart (in a Dodge, but same basic trans) that would allow me to drive ahead, but not backwards. Also had the caliper mount bolts fall out and make the caliper like a wedge. Try turning the wheels by hand to see if one binds
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »
Thanks Carnuck, I just did all the brakes so that is a possibility but I,m sure something in the tranny isn't right simply because of the clunk under the floor of the car when I try to move the car. I'll have it back in the garage soon and will make sure I didn't over do the brake adjustments. I've seen some occasional posts about torque convertors being bad so I'm gonna start in that direction.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
clunk could be trans mount. Dragging calipers would make it tough to move. I'd lift the wheels and see which one is hard to turn by hand.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:47:50 PM »
Could be your viscous coupler blew up in your tcase and caused it to pop into a binding situation.  The chain would then be all bound up in there, seen that a few times, not too common, but I've seen Chevy's where they would break and take out the upper portion of the back case half too.

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »
Its finally going back into the garage tomorrow to start the investigation
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
Well good luck! Maybe it is a brake hung up,lets hope thats the case but when you mentioned the torque convertor I think you will be in the ballpark. Either way once again good luck.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »
Well I got it in the garage after quite a bit of effort ( had to yank it out of the ice with the Heep) I did notice that even in neutral the rear wheels didn't seem to want to turn freely so tomorrow I should have a clue :rotfl:
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk