News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 03:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clutch Master Cylinder Fluid  (Read 2600 times)

Offline BigBird

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Clutch Master Cylinder Fluid
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:28:42 PM »
I have an '82 SX/4 258 4spd. What fluid do I use in my clutch master cylinder?
'84 Eagle Limited (FatMan)
'82 Eagle SX/4 (LittleBoy)
'92 Chevy K1500 (Calico)
'03 Silverado 1500 (The Wifes)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Clutch Master Cylinder Fluid
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:44:55 PM »
Brake fluid

Manitowoc WI

eaglesx4

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 04:34:06 PM »
If you are unsure what is in there drain the system, flush, and put new back in,  The shop that worked on mine just added brake fluid to what was in there.  Clutch failure and both clutch and slave cylinder had to be replaced

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:03:30 PM »
I bought a 82 SX4 and received a slave cylinder for it as clutch was working only when brake fluid was added to a tube near the corner of the fender and window on the driver's side.

My High school was doing a safety on it and could not make it work.  How difficult is it to pull apart and replace it and maybe the clutch master cylinder???

Could it be a seal that needs replacing on the Slave???

Not a mechanic here.

thanks much

dkoug

eaglesx4

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »
I did not work on mine, but it was on a lift and did not seem that difficult. There is a metal line from the clutch cyl to slave cyl and that was leaking on mine.  Advance auto has the line listed under brakes,  It was 32.00 three months ago and had to be ordered.  Check the size as there are two sizes listed-

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk