News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 21, 2024, 04:42:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Head Gasket  (Read 2443 times)

AK_Eagle

Head Gasket
« on: June 28, 2011, 05:44:52 PM »
A month or two ago I posted a topic called "dirty oil" in which I posted my problem (milky, sludgy oil) and a bunch of you had really good suggestions. Unfortunately, the problem has persisted and it appears that I have a head gasket that is compromised and/ or a bad water pump gasket. I am leaning toward the head gasket though because on the outside of the engine, you can see sludgy oil leaking out of both the head gasket and the valve cover gasket.
I have ordered a head gasket replacement kit (surprisingly cheap!) and have a couple mechanic friends that are willing to help me tackle the job, although I have recently been getting discouraged by a couple other mechanics I know. More than one person now has told me that I am better off finding a new engine :(
Is replacing the gaskets really that difficult of a job if I get someone who knows what they are doing to help me?
I couldn't find a good procedure on Eaglepedia for this either and any suggestions on helpful resources would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
Re: Head Gasket
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
They are super cheap, it's the labor to do it.

It's not that hard to do, especially on an older engine, just a bit time consuming as long as you have decent mechanical knowledge.. If not, I wouldn't touch it.

However, the thing is if it's been overheating, etc you might have caused some damage internally.

At the very least, it's a pain in the butt to flush the cooling system and block a few times to get all the sludge out.

I looked for a writeup for you, but I couldn't find one.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 06:58:05 PM »
You'll definitely want to get the head checked for flatness.

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:47:18 PM »
x2 on check the head for flatness.  Also the 258 heads are quite heavy so you may want to have a cherry picker handy to help ya get it out of the car. Best of luck on your repair
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk