News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 04:40:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spare Tire - Donut for Upgraded Tire Size  (Read 3058 times)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Spare Tire - Donut for Upgraded Tire Size
« on: April 21, 2016, 12:07:42 PM »
So, I am running 205 75 15's.  I still have the factory spare w/ the original tools in the trunk area and was wanting a properly sized spare.  I still want it to fit in the factory location under the rear deck/through the hatch. 

I did the math and a 205 15 75 has a circumference of 85.1".  Definitely larger than the factory spare.  I did a little more math (almost ran out of fingers and toes) and found that a 145 80 18 has a circumference of 85.2".   It just so happens that a  newer VW Tiguan has a 5 lug factory spare 145 80 18.  The lug pattern is "slightly" different.  It measures 112mm, where the Eagle measures 114.3mm.  I'm thinking for an emergency spare, it should work just fine.  I ordered the wheel and I will update the post.  I just don't want a full sized spare mounted to the roof rack on road trips.  If the fit in the trunk is tight, I will deflate the spare until it fits (I have the factory onboard air pump under the hood)  If I have to, I will slightly mod the lug holes, as an emergency spare, it isn't bothering me "yet"

Anyone else do something similar?
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: Spare Tire - Donut for Upgraded Tire Size
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
This is the first time I've seen anybody put this much thought into the spare tire for an Eagle  ;)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  I'm thinking you may run into problems trying to get that VW bolt pattern to match up.  You may be able to find an 18" wheel with the proper bolt pattern and swap the VW tire onto it??

You may also want to carry a can of fix a flat and never have to use the spare.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 12:57:32 PM »
I don't have a spare in any of my vehicles, but always try to keep one in the wife and kiddos' vehicles.  A little CMA in case they ever get stuck on the side of the road.  If the wheel lug pattern doesn't fit, I will source a proper wheel.  If it does work, I solved a problem someone doesn't know they have  :)
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 03:36:35 PM »
Let us know how it turns out!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 12:32:03 AM »
As long as you don't go into 4wd, a different size spare will work just fine to get the car off the side of the road and to the tire shop to repair the damaged tire.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk