News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 02:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear shock mounts (car not axle)  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Rear shock mounts (car not axle)
« on: March 12, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »
I've been debating a few things with my car. One was swapping to a D35 / 3.55 with limited slip, and that would give me room to put a Cherokee gas tank in I think (running a 8.25 which is huge).

I was wondering if the rear shock mounts could be cut out and swapped around so the shocks match all other axles for Jeeps, etc. This would also make future axle swaps simple, as well as routing the exhaust.

Anyone ever do this? I can't see any reason why it couldn't be done.

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: Rear shock mounts (car not axle)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
Why a Cherokee gastank??
Why not change the XJ axle (D35/ Chrysler 8.25) shock mounts, parts will be available forever for those.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
The shock mounts I'm talking about are the ones on the car,  not the axle. Since I can't weld is rather swap the mounts on the car around so I can use stock axles as they come.

I was wondering if anyone has done this,  or if there is a reason not to. From what I can see there isn't anything other than design decisions that dictated this.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 02:22:58 AM »
Some car drivers have done that but it works against the torque/thrust and causes more axle hop, especially in reverse. You can use smaller shock mounts in the back. I plan to for the XJ tank swap towards my EFI swap later.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 07:34:41 AM »
The tank won't fit if you run larger than a d35 in the rear. It hits the differential.

It's odd that it would work against engine torque seeing as the XJ cherokee is near identical underneath but has them mounted opposite.

There are reasons behind what I'm doing though.

I want limited slip, and I need to replace my fuel tank and sender. I'll need to modify whichever tank I get (xj would be easier but the Eagle fits better and sits higher). If I swap to the Dana 35 I can find one cheap with limited slip, then use a xj tank in my car. If I keep the 8.25 (which is a beast) then i have to use the Eagle tank and fit an xj sender.

If i swapped the mounts then I can change axles easily without having someone constantly have to weld them for me.

The twist of the vehicle when under torque did occur to me. I have a few engineer friends I'm going to ask as well, but I'd still love to hear from you guys.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 09:27:10 AM »
In my opinion it would be harder to change the mounts on the car than on the axle. I would think welding would still be required.  Some have said they didn't change the shock mounts on the axle and were able to put the shocks on the Jeep axle with the upper mounts in the stock location. I don't see how that is possible, but maybe I didn't try hard enough.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 05:04:32 PM »
I've mocked up an adaptor piece that would work well. The XJ stock axle mounts are about an inch and a half lower which gives room for a simple bracket that bolts to the stock Eagle location and tilts a stock Eagle shock the opposite direction to mate up with a stock XJ axle. That is something I want to produce as a on the shelf retrofit solution.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 09:33:58 PM »
Capt, get on that and I'll be the first to buy a set. They better be sexy

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 11:46:02 PM »
Hey Cap, any updates on this mod?