News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 10:28:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Steering wheel wiggle/play  (Read 5831 times)

Offline slcTed

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Steering wheel wiggle/play
« on: July 12, 2015, 04:59:38 PM »
The steering wheel in my 1985 AMC Eagle 4-Door has developed a wiggle. I can wiggle it from side to side maybe 1 cm in either direction. It drives and steers fine but this issue seems to have happened quite suddenly and I am concerned that if it continues to loosen something major will happen.

I am not an expert mechanic like many of you seem to be, but I attempted to remove the two screws underneath the steering column hoping that I would find the source of the problem and be able to tighten whatever is loose but I could not find the origin.

The problem seems to be originating from under the Shroud, shift bowl (part 36.35.8.11 when referring to http://www.amceaglesden.com/images/Downloads/1984%20-%201988%20Parts%20Manual.pdf)

Does anyone have a simple way to get underneath this shroud and figure out what is going on?
1985 4-door AMC Eagle
1993 Jeep Cherokee Country Edition XJ

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Steering wheel wiggle/play
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
Is it the top part that moves or the whole column? Top part on tilt column has screws that come loose that you need to take the column apart to fix.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:31:01 AM »
If you look under the steering wheel, towards the front of the car there is a piece of plastic with 2 screws in it which cover part of the steering wheel. Remove that and you should have access to the 2 nuts which bolt to the "frame" that is welded to the firewall area. This is supposed to be solid and holds in the steering wheel. If it's still moving, you may have to follow this around to see if it's loose at the firewall as well. Chances are someone did an adjustment and neglected to tighten the nuts at some point, or there wasn't any loctite put on them and they came loose with age + vibration.

Offline slcTed

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:49:48 PM »
It is just the top part that moves, not the whole column. I did not realize there were 2 screws behind the wheel, going to get into those ASAP.

Thanks!
1985 4-door AMC Eagle

Offline slcTed

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:01:34 PM »
Ok, I removed the two screws behind the steering wheel and also the nut behind the steering wheel cover. I think the next step is to get a steering wheel puller?

My problem seems to be the same as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsIWG-hRfy0 for a 1991 GMC Suburban.

In the beginning he lists all the tools required. Will the 1985 AMC Eagle require the same tools? I'm about to head to AutoZone tomorrow for the steering wheel puller and would like to get all the parts I will need for this job.
1985 4-door AMC Eagle

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:41:45 AM »
It's been awhile  since I've pulled a steering wheel (not on an Eagle) but I didn't need a puller previously. Before purchasing one why not try using brute strength and puling it up while slightly moving it side to side.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 02:30:26 AM »
A steering wheel puller and steering lock plate press plus a tilt steering pivot tool and flexible screwdriver with allen key, torx and a few other screw tips is most of the tools you need. Basic tools like a good Phillips tip screwdriver and socket set for the big nut and you're good to go!

Full Size Jeeps share a LOT of parts with Eagles.

http://wagoneers.com/tech/Tilt-Column-Repair/steering-column.html

http://wagoneers.com/FSJ/Tom_Collins-oljeep.com/gw/82_tsm/Section%202J.pdf

AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline slcTed

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help. I was finally able to get back to this project after doing some work on my XJ.

I finished taking apart the column and Loc-Titing the Torx bolts deep within. Now I am putting everything back together and I have one mystery part that came out when I had everything flipped upside down to get to the Torx bolts. I have attached a photo. Does anyone have any idea what this piece is and where it goes?

I have watched seemingly endless youtube videos (almost every Chevy and GM from 1960-1990 uses the same column) and none of them show this part....
1985 4-door AMC Eagle

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 11:05:35 PM »
That is the spring that holds in the key buzzer switch.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline slcTed

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 01:44:09 PM »
Thank you Houston, good call! Although now I have a much larger problem. My Pivot Pin Remover broke off inside of my Pivot Pin!   >:(

This seems to be a common problem with the Pivot Pin Removers from O'Reilly's, cheap pieces of crap. Looking around on the net, I have yet to see someone amend this. After drilling, hammering and welding they usually end up admitting defeat and springing for an entire new steering column from the junkyard.

Does anyone have experience with this problem?
1985 4-door AMC Eagle

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 06:20:51 PM »
Well, if you're going back together, just leave the busted part in there, and don't worry about it!!

My pivot tool dates back to the early-1970's, when most tools were well-made.    So I've yet to experience that problem.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline slcTed

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 12:56:35 AM »
I would just put it all back together but I realized too late into the reassemble that the ignition switch actuator rack is improperly aligned with the sector that rotates and engages the switch, which is why I had to go back in and remove the pivot pins. The remaining pin is keeping me from getting back in there and realigning the ignition switch.

How I wish that tools were still well-made!

1985 4-door AMC Eagle

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 01:18:13 AM »
Hey; I've done that before (the rack botch)!!     Only thing I can think of is to drill a new hole off-center in the pin, and jamb a sheet metal screw in it to use to pull it out.    If you mangle the pin too bad, new ones are easy to come by.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7