News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 12:29:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: steering binding  (Read 4364 times)

Offline bigblock

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
steering binding
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:42:29 PM »
I have been driving my 83 wagon quite a bit over the last few weeks and have noticed some binding when I am turning. It doesn't happen all of the time, and if I apply more force to the wheel it frees up and operates normally. My power steering fluid level is ok, it seems like it may be a problem with the power steering gear, has anyone had any luck flushing their power steering system and eliminating this issue. If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: steering binding
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 10:46:31 PM »
I would look at some of the steering parts like the pitman arm, idler arm , inner and outer tie rods.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »
hi, has your PS fluid ever been changed? It may be so old its full of gunk. Flush system first, easy to do but it helps to have a helper. disconnect the low pressure return line at the steering box. (this is the line WITHOUT the fitting, just a hose clamp) point line down into a bucket or oil pan, run car while turning wheel back and forth, and have helper keep adding fresh fluid as it drains. When it runs out clean you are done. good luck, gz

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 11:24:22 AM »
Also inspect your frame rails for damage.

Manitowoc WI

Offline bigblock

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 07:35:05 PM »
I am going to pull it into the garage tomorrow to start some hose replacement and do a thorough inspection to see where I will be investing next. I will take some pics and keep everyone posted. Thanks

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 03:08:46 AM »
Make sure none of your tierods are bent either.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline bigblock

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 12:17:11 AM »
I finished a bunch of work on the bird a few days ago. The cause of the binding was an aftermarket manual choke bracket that got jammed between the inner fender and the steering gear to column flex connection. I had to make the Eagle ready to be my primary driver due to a suicidal deer deciding to end his life on the grill of my truck at 60mph. I took a week off of work and did a bunch of work on the old girl and got her back in fighting form. I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how to get them off of my new phone.

Offline bigblock

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 08:31:41 PM »

Here she is with the lift installed, I still have some rubbing issues with the tire/rim combo. I hope that I will be able to find a way to make these rims and tires work without messing up the flares too bad.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 12:04:26 PM »
The Eagle is looking very nice!  Good work!  Looking forward to seeing some more pics!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 11:11:48 PM »
When you lift, you have to be very careful about the idler arm angle. SOTE twisted 2 in a week.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk