News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 05, 2024, 11:17:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Power booster interchange?  (Read 7556 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Power booster interchange?
« on: March 19, 2015, 04:04:34 PM »
Does anyone happen to know if the 82+ power booster will install into an 81? I'm concerned about the brake pedal side and need to know if they are the same at that end. I can't give specifics, but I need a master cylinder that has the lines on the right side. The 80-81 use a GM short pushrod style and I've tried a couple different master cylinders that have the lines on the right side but they are too wide. So I want to change to the later style that seems to use a Ford style master cylinder but concerned the pedals might be different between the different styles.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
Re: Power booster interchange?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 05:38:18 PM »
I wasn't aware of the difference and am intrigued by the answer. I might almost be intrigued enough to shift through my pile of old ones to compare. Hopefully someone else knows the answer sooner, if not bug me and I'll find it.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:40:44 PM »
Well, I'm guessing "yes".   Here's my reasoning -- although the boosters are different part numbers (riveted-on booster mount bracket vs. the later bolt-on mount bracket), the under-dash pedal mount bracket (that the brake pedal pivots from) are the same part number for all years, and the pedal assembly is also the same part number for all years.   That should mean that the distance from the firewall to the pedal rod is the same for all years.    Just an educated opinion tho!!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 10:25:20 PM »
I wasn't aware of the difference and am intrigued by the answer. I might almost be intrigued enough to shift through my pile of old ones to compare. Hopefully someone else knows the answer sooner, if not bug me and I'll find it.
Dave, the 80 and 81's use a Delco master and booster and the lines exit on the driver's side. There were casting numbers on the bottom of my master and I found some info on the net that the casting number is from 60's-70's Oldsmobile and uses a GM short pushrod. The 82+ lines exit the passenger side of the master and has a more standard style pushrod and seems to be more like a Ford master cylinder.

Well, I'm guessing "yes".   Here's my reasoning -- although the boosters are different part numbers (riveted-on booster mount bracket vs. the later bolt-on mount bracket), the under-dash pedal mount bracket (that the brake pedal pivots from) are the same part number for all years, and the pedal assembly is also the same part number for all years.   That should mean that the distance from the firewall to the pedal rod is the same for all years.    Just an educated opinion tho!!
Thanks George, I think I might gamble and get the later style booster. I can't seem to find a master that will work with the earlier booster with what I'm trying to do.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 10:36:52 PM »
Here's the early style

Here's the later style

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:45:52 PM »
So you'll have to track down a later-style mount bracket maybe??   Or try to un-rivet the old-style bracket and see if it'll work??   Just wondering.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 06:38:28 AM »

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 03:52:58 PM »
The whole units swap. I did that on SOTE so the lines would be towards the fender for clearance to put 4.0L EFI in.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 04:35:30 PM »
The whole units swap. I did that on SOTE so the lines would be towards the fender for clearance to put 4.0L EFI in.
Thanks. I looked at my 86 and 81 side by side and I thought it would so I ordered the later style booster and master. I need the lines to exit the other side due to interference that I can't discuss right now.  8)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »
I think the 89/90 XJ booster MIGHT fit. I know the master swaps because I put an '89 MJ used master on SOTE but didn't change the booster.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 09:20:01 AM »
If you have your old one and can weld a tiny bit and have your old brake booster here is a backup/upgrade/whatever :

- Jeep Cherokee XJ brake booster (mounts directly to the firewall of the XJ. Mine is from a 1994 XJ but I think others are pretty well the same. The rod may be the only thing that changes, which doesn't matter)
- Stock Eagle brake booster with the stand off mounts

1 : Remove the stand off mounts from the Eagle brake booster
2 : Slide them onto the XJ brake booster.
3 : Cut off the long metal rod that attaches to the brake inside the Eagle, a few inches off the booser
4 : Cut off the rod from the XJ, make sure that the stud that's left is the same length as the one that is left on the Eagle
5 : Weld the rod that was on the Eagle booster to the Jeep booster stud

The new booster should fit right in like it belongs there. And since the newer XJ boosters are MUCH more common, it's a quick simple solution to a broken rare Eagle booster.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »
I would cut and thread the shaft to the booster rather than weld because the heat will ruin the booster. Then use a joining nut with lock nuts front and back to keep it tight.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 07:25:07 AM »
Hells yes, that's a really good idea and much more simple, especially since you can just keep the original shaft and reuse it.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 02:44:35 PM »
I installed the 82+ master and booster in my 81 today. I ground the rivets and removed the bracket from the 81 booster. The studs on the back of the 82+ booster are approximately 3 7/16" on center where as the holes in the bracket are 3 9/16" on center. No big deal, I just elongated the holes with my die grinder. It bolted up to the car just fine. I won't go into too much detail with the lines here because mine is a unique situation and the stock brake lines aren't on the car. But, the rear port(front brakes) are different  between the two master cylinders. 9/16-18 on the 80-81  and 7/16-24 on the 82+. I didn't feel like putting a new tube not on,s o I used a couple adapters. After trying 3 different master cylinders, I was happy to have no interference with the shock tower. Luckily, I happen to notice the master cylinder looked a bit high. I slowly closed the hood and yes, now it interferes with the hood.  :banghead: Only finding a couple pics online to go by, it appears that the 82+ have less of an angle in the booster bracket. I could cut and weld the bracket so it has less of an angle, but I'm going to try to see if someone has the correct bracket from a parts car.
80-81

82+

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/images/9/92/Hydro3.jpg

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 09:22:53 PM »
I went to the junkyard today since they had 2 Spirits there, but both turned out to be manual brakes. Rob, AMC1320, came to the rescue and let me take the brackets off his Spirit parts car.

Here's a pic showing the 80-81 bracket on the right and the 82+ bracket on the left.  You can see the 80-81 has more of an angle. Now I have brakes and can close my hood.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk