News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 12:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to replace the power steering belt?  (Read 5228 times)

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
How to replace the power steering belt?
« on: March 18, 2015, 05:14:56 PM »
I'm trying to replace the power steering belt, which on my 1984 Eagle runs from the crank pulley to the fan pulley to the PS pump.

I can't figure out how to loosen the PS pump to get slack in the belt.  I can see a half-inch hole in the back of the pump that looks like it's for adjustment, and a slew of bolts holding the pump to the supporting bracket and the bracket to the block, but I don't see anything that would permit back and forth movement.

The only reference I could find on this board just says "two bolts front and 1 bolt back", which may be true but is not very useful in determining which of the umpteen bolts I need to loosen.  I've tried randomly loosening some of the likely candidates, but nothing allows the pump to move.

I also can't make sense of the write-up in the service manual.

Another oddity: all of the aforementioned bolts are 15 millimeter, not 9/16.  My car is a Canadian-built model, but this is the first case of metric fasteners that I've found...

Can someone help me out?

Thanks,
JB
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:18:56 PM by johnbendik »
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: How to replace the power steering belt?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:27:55 PM »
You're in good company, everyone has this problem and once you figured it out, you will have forgotten it the next time.
I adjusted it last year and I know there is a bolt somewhere hidden at the back side. I ended up loosening all the bolts I could find.
Then you will see how it goes together, make some pictures for the next time and post them here.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:34:55 AM »
You're in good company, everyone has this problem and once you figured it out, you will have forgotten it the next time.

So very true.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 05:31:28 PM »
There is 2 through bolts from the front and a nut in back that locks it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:09:39 PM »
I figured it out with help from a Jeep forum, and will try to describe it precisely for future generations below:

(Incidentally, for those who don't already know, the Jeep forums are an excellent resource for Eagle owners, especially when you can't get enough info from the Den...)

The PS pump is held by an aluminum housing, which is in turn bolted to a steel bracket.  You are going to move the aluminum housing relative to the steel bracket (not the PS pump relative to the aluminum housing, as I originally thought). There are only two things you have to loosen:
(1) The pivot bolt, so the housing can rotate.  This is a 15mm nut on the back of the alum. housing at its top, and is partially hidden by a small tab of the steel bracket that bends towards the back of the car.  This nut can be a little hard to see and get to; on my car the EGR hose ran right behind it, and I had to collapse the hose a little to make room for my socket and wrench. 
(2) The 9/16 inch clamping bolt, which locks the housing in position.  If you're looking at the housing/bracket from the front, the clamping bolt is about level with the pulley's axle, and about 2 inches to the left of the near edge of the pulley (or about 5 inches from the pulley axle, if you prefer).  Loosen this bolt, and leave your wrench on it so you can tighten it with one hand while you rotate the housing with the other.

Rotate the housing by using a 1/2 inch drive socket wrench in the square hole on the back side of the housing, then lock it down with the 9/16 inch clamping bolt.  Finish by re-tightening the 15mm pivot bolt nut.

This description is probably overkill for most of the ace mechanics on this board, but some newbies may find it useful.  Just seemed like it ought to be spelled out out exactly somewhere...

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 11:14:35 AM »
Thanks for posting that great description.  It will be helpful not only to those folks who haven't done it before, but also people like me that do it so infrequently that they forgot how they did it the last time!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 04:44:03 PM »
I think my explanation with pictures was wiped out during the one of the mass deletions.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk