News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 29, 2024, 12:21:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front End Shudder/Wobble  (Read 4125 times)

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Front End Shudder/Wobble
« on: April 24, 2015, 04:01:54 PM »
Hi Den! Sorry I have been so Quiet...me and the Eagle are great! 

Anyways, my car has developed a shudder (death wobble?) in two circumstances: One, if I am on an on ramp (an interchange I guess....from highway to highway if you can picture) veering right (not left for some reason) I start to get a shudder above about 40 or 45 MPH. This is most common and happens frequently. I can turn left at any speed....it is only right. It is a little nerveracking, but not as scary as if I hit a bad pothole at highway speeds and the entire car violently shakes until I slow down to about 35. This has only happened twice I think.

Here is what I know (in advance, if you ask me): Shocks and coil springs are new. The strut mount bushings DEFINITELY need to be replaced. I just don't want to start buying part after part after part and turn this into a full front end rebuild. My pitman/idler APPEARS to be ok....when I had an alignment done about a year and a half ago, the alignment tech (who is quite good...I use that shop just for that purpose) said they were fine.

Let me know...thanks!!
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
Re: Front End Shudder/Wobble
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »
As my friend who was an AMC mechanic at an AMC dealership....says....it's the steering dampner. People say NO, but IT IS! It's not ball joints. Change it, it's only $40 and it'll be gone.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 07:56:03 PM »
As my friend who was an AMC mechanic at an AMC dealership....says....it's the steering dampner. People say NO, but IT IS! It's not ball joints. Change it, it's only $40 and it'll be gone.

MIne has a wobble between 55/60 and steering dampner replacement fixed it. When it first happened, it was right after I had gotten my state inspection and the mechanic said he was shocked that my 32 year old suspension was as tight as it was. Since I just had new tires installed, I had them check the balance on all the tires, they were perfect. Having had a Wagoneer that did the same years ago, I got a new dampner and haven't had an issue since.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 04:53:37 PM »
Mine would shake when I'd hit a bump at 45 or over. Installed new dampner, smooth as silk.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 05:35:46 PM »
I am one of those that will say a part is going bad. Could be a halfshaft could be alot of differant things. Yes a stabilizer will mask the problem to unnoticeable, usually.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 09:23:19 PM »
Once a small shudder starts to "resonate" or whatever, it can get steadily worse even though nothing is wrong (or something very minor). The steering damper fixes this as it nips the problem in the bud before it gets huge. A lot of Jeep guys I know of have replaced their whole front end piece by piece and still have the death wobble because they don't believe in touching the damper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk