News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 05:40:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re-clocking steering wheel  (Read 3683 times)

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re-clocking steering wheel
« on: January 27, 2015, 04:42:40 PM »
My 81 Eagle has always had the steering wheel clocked a little to the right of center.  Not long after I bought it I thought I could just pull it off the steering shaft and reclock it, but discovered that the shaft was "keyed" and the steering wheel could only go on in one position.

Fast forward to just a few years ago: Motor was out and I was also doing suspension work up front. I bought a new rag joint and figured that this would be the ideal time to fix the steering wheel alignment issue at the other end of the column. I discovered that this end is also "keyed".  My steering wheel is still off center when I go straight down the road.

Am I missing something? I looked at every topic header on the 13 pages of this particular forum and didnt see that anyone else had this issue, so maybe it was just mine, and just me...

Suggestions anyone?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Re-clocking steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
When you get a alignment is when the steering wheel should be set to center. It is the tie rod ends that need to be adjusted. A good alignment can still have the wheel off center if it is not done proper.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:51:27 PM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:55:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe next time I get tires I'll have the thing aligned and have them look at that. I guess I'm mystified as to how you could change any of those relationships if everything from the steering wheel to the pitman arm is keyed so that it can only be in one place.

I have greater experience with my other cars which require only that you remove the steering wheel from the non-keyed splines on the top of the column so you can put it where you want it. Having to disassemble the steering gear or steering column to effect such an adjustment seems to be more work than it should be, which is why I think I must be missing something obvious and simple.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »
The pitman arm should be set at the center of the steering box's turning radius for optimum steering. So if the alignment is done right, the steering wheel should be centered. The wheel alignment could be correct at the wheels but the relation of the pitman arm to the tie rods may not be and that's what would cause the steering wheel to be off. If the steering wheel could be removed and just moved a couple splines, it would be the wrong way to fix it.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:02:19 PM »
The spline on the rag joint may be off if someone swapped the box or just out of adjustment if maybe a tie rod was bent.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 01:04:41 PM »
All good suggestions for things to look at. I understand that on this car you can't sort this issue by moving the wheel on the column. I mentioned that to point out that it is not possible when every connection from the wheel to the steering box is keyed.

I thought I might adjust it at the rag joint too, which I replaced when I had the motor out....no soap.

This is a seasonal car for me, so I think that this summer when I'm not driving it I will replace the tie rod ends, which will give me the excuse to straighten this stuff (pun intended) out. I've been driving it this way for a long time, a few more months won't drive me nuts.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:21:40 PM »
The spline at the steering box can be installed 1 off. There are 3 that are close enough to get it wrong.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk