News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 10:23:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hmm...older axle hanger with newer axle...hmmmm  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Hmm...older axle hanger with newer axle...hmmmm
« on: November 28, 2014, 09:47:52 AM »
I'm almost done my Eagle full swap, and I was looking at the rear of my Eagle which is up pretty high now. I realized that I still have a few things laying around, 1 being the longer passenger side hanger from the older axles.

Since I have to make a custom bracket for the drivers side, would using the passenger side longer bracket make sense for doing a bit of a lift? Basically it'll push the axle down an inch or so further, which should also help keep the springs extended a bit more (I have spring spacers, but I'd rather do a few more things to keep the distance).

So...older longer hanger with the newer style axle, would it give me a bit more clearance? I think it will, not much though but a bit to work with.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Hmm...older axle hanger with newer axle...hmmmm
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »
The longer pass side hanger was only '80 till early '82 with non-vacuum axles (all had NP119 tcases probably) I'm not sure the exact length difference but I would put the equal spacers on driver's side to match so it sits level or you will tear up CV joints and you'll already have a custom pinion hanger so make sure the pinion is leveled to match. I'd consider a CV front driveshaft to take away any vibes too. (which the XJ should have)
   It will help with axle angle if you lift the front but cut down ground clearance slightly. It's part of how I lifted my first Eagle (I also put a spacer between the engine crossbar and frame but didn't quite get it right so I had vibes)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »
I have a early and a later hanger, I was sitting at work thinking about it.

I might just keep it stock and use the spring spacers I have. I'm not taking the car offroad anyways.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 06:05:10 PM »
I'm sorry, I just want to make sure we are on the same page. Are you saying that lowering the front axle will raise the front suspension? If so, that's not going to do it. The front axle is independent of the suspension. Now if you mean lowering the axle to align the cv axles if you have a lift, it might help a little, but not worth the trouble in my opinion.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 06:37:21 PM »
I agree with eaglefreek. The suspension is limited to the lower a arm bottoming out. I lowered my axle once to fix what i thought needed to be done since i lifted one of mine 2". I was tearing up halfshafts  on one side. It ended up being a bad basically non existant motor mount on that side.

as far as the limits are iirc 3" is max and that a arm is right at the frame than.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 03:02:51 AM »
The spacer between the frame and engine crossbar also needed either a custom upper arm with drop built in.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk