News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 23, 2024, 03:47:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AW-4 install  (Read 12142 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: AW-4 install
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »
So it would make more sense to swap to the NP242 over the NP231 since the stock Eagle parts I have that are needed would match up for a correct installation.I already have a swap lined up lol.

So when I do the install of the new engine, transmission and transfer case what should I be aware of? The front driveshaft has to be lengthened (or "shimmed" to keep it from compacting and sliding out) with either NP242/231 correct? The transmission mount has to be slid back and lowered a snort, but the rear driveshaft should be good as is.

I have front and rear SX4 driveshafts (rear driveshaft is from a standard). Would the rear driveshaft (has a slip joint) be able to be used in place of the front driveshaft on the Eagle? If memory serves me right, when I compared the driveshafts I have sitting at home it came out a few inches longer and the ujoints looked the same.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 07:17:26 PM »
The Eagle front driveshaft is a much smaller diameter than the rear. There isn't much room there especially with the 4.0L exhaust. Honestly, your just going to have to do it and figure it out as you go. Once you get everything into place, you'll see what needs to be done. This won't be a weekend project unless you have mad fab skills.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 06:46:24 AM »
I don't have mad fab skills but the guy helping me does. Mad, deliciously succulent fab skills. The guy can take a pop can and make it into a friggen snow plow with a disco ball.

I just keep getting anxious for the swap, trying to iron out any potential bugs. It's why I have 80 different posts here on different things lol.  :rotfl:

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »
I have a whole recycle bin full of pop cans, can he make me another Eagle?  :o
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 06:26:39 AM »
The front driveshaft has to be lengthened (or "shimmed" to keep it from compacting and sliding out) with either NP242/231 correct?

Would the rear driveshaft (has a slip joint) be able to be used in place of the front driveshaft on the Eagle? If memory serves me right, when I compared the driveshafts I have sitting at home it came out a few inches longer and the ujoints looked the same.

The rear driveshaft is considerably longer and a much thicker diameter.

The front driveshaft does not have to worry about compacting and sliding out. That is only for the rear driveshaft because two slip joints add up and slide out the back of the transfer case. In the front you have a yoke on either side, not a slip joint.

If you just swapped the stock NP129 for a NP242 you would use the Eagle front yoke and not need any other changes up front. In the rear you would need a 3" spacer. Since you are doing an AW4 swap at the same time the transmission will be 3" longer. Hopefully that eliminates the need for a spacer in the back. I'll be able to tell you for sure in about a week since this is how I'm currently doing my AW4 install. In the front you have an inch or two of adjustment in the slip yoke but it is probably not enough to make up for the longer transmission. I plan on using an XJ front yoke which is an additional inch or two longer than the Eagle one. The added length of those two together should make the front driveshaft work as is. The XJ front yoke has different Ubolts that may provide complication. I think they are meant to go through unthreaded holes and have nuts instead of bolts that thread in.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 12:39:39 PM »
A Chrysler 8.25 would eliminate any need for a spacer in the rear as well due to it being longer than the stock axle or D35.

I lucked out on my XJ, it has SYE

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2014, 04:09:18 PM »
The XJ front shaft is double cardan and has bolts that come from the tcase side that go into the toke of the double cardan (I can add a pic since my MJ's front shaft is off right now due to the trans change and upcoming front axle swap to 4.10s)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk