News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 01, 2024, 03:28:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brake Master Cylinder Upgrades?  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Brake Master Cylinder Upgrades?
« on: July 02, 2014, 01:48:50 AM »
My master cylinder just took a crap after less than 15,000 miles, and I'm wondering if there are any known upgrades for the master cylinder (that don't cost $400). It seems that the originals aren't the greatest to begin with, and it would be nice to have something that I know will be reliable.

I would absolutely love to swap in a hydroboost unit from an Astro van, but I don't know if I'll be able to get one. It would be awesome to eliminate the vacuum booster so it wouldn't change idle characteristics, plus the brakes would be so much better.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Brake Master Cylinder Upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:45:34 AM »
I thought the same thing, until I drove my big Eagle with the solid front axle and Explorer 8.8 with rear discs with the stock master cylinder and booster. With 35" tires, it stopped better than my little Eagle. The master cylinder developed a leak and doing some searching of the net, I came up with the idea of using a master cylinder from a 80's Ford E150. I had to source some adapters for the brake lines. It didn't make any difference. Still stopped about the same. I think the problem with it not lasting is the junk rebuilds that companies are putting out nowadays. Hydroboost is on my list for my little Eagle one day. I also thought about trying to install a later XJ booster. They supposedly offer more assist, but I have no idea if one could work in an Eagle.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:41:30 PM »
If there are any junkyards in your area, Hydroboost is usually pretty cheap. I had a '79 Lincoln setup I was going to put in mine, but illness has kept me from doing anything since the beginning of this year.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:07:40 AM »
I'm pretty serious about using hydroboost because it will make room for a clutch master cylinder with intergrated resevoir like they used in YJ jeeps. Those are cheap and much easier to find then the oddball Eagle unit.

My Scout has it and its awesome. In my Scout they didn't modify the output shaft instead there is a big spacer block. I want to make my own angled spacer block for use in Eagles.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »
I'm going to grind the standoff plate from an old Eagle booster (rusted through) to make my firewall adapter.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 04:05:32 PM »
You could look for an older NOS cast iron master from a power disc-drum Hornet or Gremlin. You need to know the bore size you want. Stock is 0.940/0.940. I haven't had bad luck with the aluminum ones.

You could look for a double diaphragm booster that fits as well.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 03:36:49 PM »
Yes, the hydroboost will be my next endeavor on the brakes. I was also thinking about taking an old Eagle booster bracket and modifying it to the hydroboost unit for mounting.

I did just install another reman mc since I need to use the car. It seems to be braking much better than before, so that's good.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
Could a brake booster from a XJ be modified to work with the Eagle?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 04:01:04 PM »
Probably. Some XJs use the same Master Cyl as Eagles, but the firewall adapter on the booster is a different angle AFAIK.

Edit for clarification
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:47:27 AM by carnuck »

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 07:24:03 PM »
I think for ease I'll just order a reman and be done with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk