News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 12:21:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wheel hub vs bearing?  (Read 3000 times)

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
wheel hub vs bearing?
« on: May 25, 2014, 09:48:33 PM »
so i destroyed my front wheel bearing. i am a little confused?? this is a standard bolt on hub assembly but all anyone wants me to do to my eagle is rebuild it with new bearings?? are there really now other hub assemblies that will fit?  looks like a chrysler assembly to me?

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: wheel hub vs bearing?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:05:43 AM »
It's just a press-in front wheel drive bearing. It's not the old font stubs, and it's not the Jeep front live axles, but all are rebuildable. The early years used a ball bearing, but I think the later roller bearings press in. AMC said the front knuckles were a unit for replacement, but that's not true anymore.

I've never heard of the bearings being hard to get.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 06:46:03 AM »
Good quality bearings (Timkin) are what you want when you rebuild the hubs, cheapos just won't last. An experienced machine shop is also needed or you will be doing this again in 1000km. If you skip the O-ring you will be doing this again soon.

Here is the price breakdown per hub for here in Winnipeg:

Timkin bearings $80 special order
Machine shop $125 includes tube of grease
O-ring seal from the CAT dealer $3
2 other seals from LAPS $16

I will try to dig up the part numbers.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:49:45 AM by maximus7001 »
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 09:51:45 AM »
Great reply Maximus7001
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 11:18:38 AM »
For each hub you need
TIMKEN   SET26 (x2)
TIMKEN   3553 (x1)
TIMKEN   3942 (x1)
And the O-ring

Most shops will never have worked with hubs assemblies like ours.  The hub assemblies on Eagles are the style that for most cars, you just buy a new assembly and swap it in. I have some at a shop waiting to be worked on right now.

As BenM said, the earlier ball bearing ones are supposedly able to be rebuilt with the newer tapered bearings.  You will need to source an axle to bearing spacer, though.  That spacer is how the bearing preload is set on the tapered bearings, but the earlier style didnt need or use them.

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 12:41:10 PM »
If you skip the O-ring you will be doing this again soon.

I was told the O-ring wasn't necessary so I went without.
I put lots of miles and years on it without a problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk