News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 06:32:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oil leak  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
Oil leak
« on: June 12, 2014, 12:16:20 PM »
Okay, this is for Bleep, but these NoPar 40s are basically the same thing as the AMC 258s, right? I've got a leak at the oil filter. It's NOT the filter itself, & it's NOT the gasket where the filter screws on (been there, done that a couple times). Tried 'The Zone’ no pictures/breakdowns. The only thing they list is an 'O'-ring between the engine & the filter mount. Not that I don't trust The Zone (yeah, right), I just wanna know IF that's all there is or is there supposed to be more (gasket, whatever)? That just doesn't seem right to me, with just that 'O'-ring sealing it. IF anybody has a drawing &/or first hand knowledge please??
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Oil leak
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »
2 O rings. I didn't do mine because I had no place to do it but a Jeep shop charged me $75 about 8 years ago. I had the oil pressure sender crack on my Mexican stroker motor and it only sprayed at RPM so we couldn't tell where it was coming from.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
Thanks Carnuck, I DEFINITELY need to look at a picture now. The Zone only gave me 1 "O"-ring, huge thing, looks like it'd almost fit over the oil filter. I MIGHT have a picture of a 258 here somewhere, hafta look. IF I do, is this 40 the same?

**  EDIT  **

Just found my book, not that much detail. Doesn't even show gaskets/seals period. IF anybody can post a diagram of that up please??
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:48:23 PM by Pat »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:52:57 PM »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:56:23 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 02:25:37 PM »
THREE of them??? All The Zone gave me was the one big one!! Wonder where I can get the other two?

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »
AMC changed around 86-87 to a check valve in the filter itself. Filters up to '86 were shared with many GM cars. For a few years after the switch they were metric filters to prevent confusion. Finally, Chrysler switched to one of their common filters with standard threads.

I don't know offhand what other differences there are in the filter adapters, but it's something to be aware of.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 06:05:20 PM »
I only replaced the big one when i did mine. Problem solved. Also that was on my stroker in the avatar picture.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 06:35:05 PM »
It allows pressure to bypass the oil filter if you don't do them all.

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
So y'all don't think I need to worry about the other two? Just do the big one & hope for the best?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »
It'll stop the leak

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 08:31:01 PM »
Excellent!!! That's what I wanna do. Thanks again Carnuck. I was expecting a gasket or a little more than just that 'O'-ring. Just didn't seem like enough to seal it.

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 08:50:54 AM »
I did the autozone "o" rings on my grand a year later leaked worse than before went with mopar now cost more but had a tighter fit on initial install hopefully this will last

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »
Most shops will only use the Dealer ones.

(I got the posted less than 50 seconds ago warning. Haven't seen THAT in a long time!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk