News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 06:30:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finally caught me an eagle  (Read 3791 times)

Offline twoface2486

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
Finally caught me an eagle
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:19:29 PM »
Just wanted to say hi to everybody. For the past couple of weeks I have enjoyed the help that the people on this site have given each other and myself. I finally landed me an eagle. I have only been wanting one since I first started driving. I got me a 1985 eagle wagon with 127000 miles on it. The owner excepted my trade for my blazer. We both got what we wanted so it worked out. It needs some TLC but with your guys help I'm sure I can get it back to top notch condition. First thing is I will need to get a set of wheels and tires for it. The next thing I want to get straightened/figured out is the carburetor system. The previous owners removed alot of components, vacuum lines missing disconnected, and the feedback system is disconnected. After reading the comments on this site and elsewhere, I am coming to the conclusion that the carter feedback seems to be a reliable setup. If money were permitting i would love to have the MPI setup, but maybe later.  Will try to get pictures posted here soon.

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
Re: Finally caught me an eagle
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 03:52:48 PM »
Welcome
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Brentmo

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 03:59:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  Congrats on your new Eagle, post some pictures for us all to see.
Take my advice, I'm not using it...

08 JK Unlimited - daily driver
98 K1500 HT383 stroker - pulling, camping, road trips
83 SX4 Sport - resto project underway

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »
Congrats. Welcome to the forum. Hope you get the Eagle looking and running just great!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 06:12:24 PM »
Welcome to the Den.  Now you are an official Denizen!
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
.... and the feedback system is disconnected. After reading the comments on this site and elsewhere, I am coming to the conclusion that the carter feedback seems to be a reliable setup.

Welcome to the Den and congrats on your new Eagle!  Can't wait to see the pictures.

While there is debate on the Carter vs Motorcraft carbs, I think that most people that stick with the Carter disable the feedback portion of it.  I haven't done it myself as my Eagles are earlier than 82, but others may want to weigh in on this, the benefits of the ECM Test bypass.

Good luck!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »
My feedback is still active and seems to work as it should.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 08:24:52 PM »
mine is unplugged, it works ok for me
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 08:32:01 PM »
Welcome to the den!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 11:01:48 PM »
For as long as I've owned an Eagle I've taken pride in being able to keep it bone-stock and operating just as Roy Lunn envisioned it. However, even these intentions sooner or later fall to the inevitable. In my instance the failure was not of the Carter nor the Duraspark ignition. I bypassed the ECM to troubleshoot a chronic problem whose effect was to kill the engine without warning while waiting at stop lights or tied up in rush-hour traffic.

The fault is apparently in the ECM. The Eagle hasn't missed a beat since I did the bypass. What's more, a host of cold-engine starting and driveability issues were resolved by taking out the ECM. For the moment, at least, I've decided to leave it as is. I re-set the timing and idle speed. It now runs very well with the now-non-feedback Carter and original Duraspark ignition.

I'm in an area where periodic emissions testing is required. I just had it done in December and it's good for 2 years. I don't have to worry about it for now. We'll see if it passes as is two years from now or if I have to somehow put it back to original. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline twoface2486

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »
Got the photos uploaded. Needs some cleaning here and there but the body is solid.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 08:23:49 PM »
Very nice!

Looks like its in great shape, a good bath and your good to go!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 08:40:15 AM »

HI     There you have done a grate job for the amount of time you have been on here ...the car looks grate ..
                     good luck with getting her going ...I would stick with carter for now .until you can go to P.I ..don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk