News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 04:27:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weird steering condition in the snow/slush  (Read 5336 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Weird steering condition in the snow/slush
« on: January 03, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »
Just took my '84 wagon out for a ride in the snow for the first time with the new suspension. I've replaced the CV shafts, shocks, springs, bushings, ball joints and one of the front wheel bearings. Also just had a wheel alignment done after everything was installed.

The issue I'm having is on snowy, slushy roads the Eagle wants to dart off in every single diverging tire track. Best way to describe it would be like driving at the beach or sand dunes across other tire tracks at a shallow angle. It's always done this the entire time I've owned the car but the new parts definitely made it better, it's nowhere near as bad as it was before. Running in 2WD lessens the effect.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to fix this problem?
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Weird steering condition in the snow/slush
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 06:19:55 PM »
A couple things come to mind:

1. Check the steering stabilizer shock and see if its still "stabilizing" (i.e.; the dampening "drag" still feels like a new shock absorber).

2. What's the caster setting??   Maybe the alignment shop got it too far negative (or not positive enough).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 08:24:18 PM »
A couple things come to mind:

1. Check the steering stabilizer shock and see if its still "stabilizing" (i.e.; the dampening "drag" still feels like a new shock absorber).

2. What's the caster setting??   Maybe the alignment shop got it too far negative (or not positive enough).

Will do. I've got the print-out in the car and will post the #'s up tomorrow.

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:53:17 AM »
Here's the #'s

Left Front:
0.3* Camber
2.1* Caster
0.14*Toe

Right Front:
0.4*Camber
2.2*Caster
0.11*Toe

Front:
0.25" Total Toe
0.01* Steer Ahead

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 03:35:57 PM »
Went back and had them realign it today. For some reason it was way off and I've barely driven it.

LF:
Camber -0.4*
Caster 0.9*
Toe 3.22*

RF
Camber 0.0
Caster 2.4*
Toe 0.26*

Total toe 3.48*
Steer ahead 1.48*

Final #'s after readjustment

LF
Camber 0.4*
Caster 2.5*
Toe 0.14*

RF
Camber 0.3*
Caster 2.5*
Toe 0.12*

Total toe 0.26*
Steer ahead 0.01*

They said everything was tight and looked good with nothing worn out(as it should be due the the suspension being brand new) and they have no clue what's up.

Any ideas what could throw the alignment off that fast?

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 05:07:56 PM »
Well, looking at your before/after/after/after stats, I'd say the left camber adjustment "slipped" after your first alignment.   Maybe they didn't tighten the eccentric bolt to spec.     Or it moved while they tightened it and they didn't notice.   You may want to torque the eccentric bolts just in case.   

Btw; did you replace the steering damper when you rebuilt the suspension??    If not; Rock Auto has a good closeout deal on them (I just bought a couple).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »
Well, looking at your before/after/after/after stats, I'd say the left camber adjustment "slipped" after your first alignment.   Maybe they didn't tighten the eccentric bolt to spec.     Or it moved while they tightened it and they didn't notice.   You may want to torque the eccentric bolts just in case.   

Btw; did you replace the steering damper when you rebuilt the suspension??    If not; Rock Auto has a good closeout deal on them (I just bought a couple).

$11, that ain't a bad deal for a damper!

Didn't replace that yet. I'd like to put an OME stabilizer in there but they ain't cheap.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 01:44:49 AM »
Sway bar bushings and idler arm did that to mine.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline casper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 03:57:31 AM »
anytime you go thru slushy stuff, you will get pull. your tires will make a HUGE difference in it also. stabilizer will slow the steering wheel itself from turning, but the pulling is due to the drag of the slush/tires. i live in this kind of environment almost 1/2 of the year. dealt with this all my life. you will have the car pull you in different directions as the track width isnt the same front/rear on our cars. fronts are wider than the rear. if your alignment is good, sounds like your steering/suspension parts are all new, its your tires and the conditions. when you drive thru anything that the tires can follow, you will get them to want to follow the tracks. no possible way of solving that other than slowing down.
62 rambler classic 2 door (casper)
63 rambler american 440 (rosie)
79 spirit (drag race car)
82 eagle station wagon (rotty wagon)
82 sx4 (honeybadger)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »
Turned out to be the alignment. It was so bad the car felt like it was out of control at slow speeds on anything slick and that was AFTER Sears did the alignment. Had them go back and do it again and the car drives better than it ever has the entire time I've owned it. I don't know what happened the first time they did it but even the steering wheel was 45* off and it was nice and even when I brought it in. Don't know why folks have no clue when it comes to doing alignments on these cars.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
Glad you were able to get the problem cleared up!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk