News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 08, 2024, 04:58:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New member  (Read 3340 times)

Offline PMEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
« on: January 27, 2014, 11:27:53 PM »
Hi Everyone - my name is Pat and I'm a new member from the Grand Rapids, Michigan area.  Bought an '82 Eagle Wagon this past summer to fix up with/for my son.  A head gasket repair and broken head bolt in the block led to a complete overhaul and while we were at why not go through the leaky transmission and transfer case. It been fun and I've been using a lot of your posts as the best source of information...so I figured why not join the folks that know the most! The engine and transmission are now in good shape... But the Carter carb continues to be a problem and a lot of the emissions stuff was removed before we got it. Would like to just buy the Motor-craft carb upgrade, the distributor upgrade, and the service '82 service manual memory stick...that I've seen on posts.

If someone could point me in the right direction on getting this stuff that would be great...and thanks for all the help so far!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 215
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:55:21 PM »
Welcome to the Den and congratulations on your new Eagle!!  I know you'll have a lot of fun working on it, but most off, driving it!

Den Member Gronk sells the Motorcraft carb upgrade.  He has literally sold thousand of them, including one to me.  It makes a big difference.  He also sells the distributor upgrade (not a replacement).

He can be found on ebay, or his contact information is in this thread:

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=36250.0

I'm not sure about a source for the memory stick service manual.  I've seen CD versions on ebay.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.  And we'd love to see pictures of your new ride!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 11:59:01 PM »
Someone on here or on the EVO forum has posted a downloadable PDF version of the Service Manual. I'm feeling too lazy to look right now. There is also a couple really good write-ups on servicing that Carter and getting it to run smooth.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:08:18 AM »
Welcome, I know IowaEagle has a memory stick copy of the 1982 ftsm. Not sure what they have been going for though. A hard copy shows up once in a while on eBay too
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
Welcome Pat.  yeah, I can put the '82 and '83 service manuals on a memory stick for you, if you are interested.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Welcome Pat!

Glad you found us and it sounds like you are making great progess on your Eagle

I too did the motorcraft and ignition upgrades and would never go back. Runs smooth like butter and even at 2 degrees this morning fires right up and never does

That being said the carter can be made to run good as well especially if you bypass the computer and do the other mods, lots of info on all of that here as well

Good luck and keep us posted, oh, and WE LOVE PICTURES!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:01:46 PM »
another Michigan member.  Enjoy, even though I've yet to pick mine up, this is a great place to look for information.  what does she look like?  I saw a few over summer down there, maybe I'll recognize it.

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 01:30:05 AM »
Welcome,

I have the 82 SX/4, and just bought an 83 wagon.  I used to own an 84 limited wagon, regretted selling it the moment I handed the keys to the guy.

You will enjoy this forum.  learn a lot.  You will have to be handy with a wrench if you own any older vehicle.  Just remember, it is old, but reliable when you fix all of the previous owners neglect and patch jobs.  Don't cuss AMC or the car as you make your repairs.  Cuss the previous owners for their neglect.
I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »

..........HI   PAT   welcome to another Michigan member glad to have company here .....I am down by Kzoo ......don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk