News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 07:27:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: painting  (Read 2073 times)

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
painting
« on: November 25, 2013, 12:28:35 AM »
So I didn't end up getting my eagle this weekend (stupid story) but will try for next week. If not there's one further away with louvers!  Anyway the first one is brown and i ended up not fancying the color, and the second is half primer Any way, so i was thinking about a paintjob. I think it would be a fun first project as I'm already somewhat artistically gifted (was going to college for some artsy-fartsy stuff)  and they would both need it in my opinion anyway.  Has anyone here painted their eagle and have any ideas or anyone have any pics of designs or anything?  I'm personally a fan of this design here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50488533@N00/4544325854/

By the way, the two sx4s I've seen personally are like matte in color, like they don't have clear coat? What's up? Were they painted matte or is it some special clear coat or what? Not a big issue, I've always liked matte but just curious

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: painting
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 01:16:11 AM »
I believe Eagle's were painted with a single stage base/clear paint. So after years in the sun most Eagles are looking pretty rough these days. A buff and a wax will bring some of the shine back but once the paint starts faded it's done cause there really is no clear.

Most Eagles didn't get fancy stripe decals like the one you posted. There were a few regional dealer decal kits and maybe a few kind of like the one you posted. Most Eagles just go the basic pinstripping from the factory. If you are doing a repaint though get creative if you want to. Show us what you've got!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 01:54:44 AM »
I really think a classic car shouldn't have much more than a stripe or 2, because generally they only need a line to show their curves. I saw a charger (not to familiar with their models) that had one stripe down the side but it was all it needed to show off its beauty.  I think simplicity is the key because not to many cars can pull off cluttered looks.  I like the line with the three blocks like in the pic because it looks classy but like a 70's vibe... At lest to me.  I'd think something like that with maybe some detail on the power bulge.  I saw a picture of a light blue spirit or eagle that looked great but I can't find it anymore.  If I have time I may do some sketches or something.   it would be amazing to see some before and after photos of just a clear coat layer! 

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:18:30 AM »
My '83 with 34k miles. Paint was pristine!

And here is an Eagle I picked up for free that had seen better days and spent most of it's life in the elements out in WY. Same color and a Woody like my other car.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
Many folks here have painted their Eagles.  The key to a good paint job is all of the preparation work you do before you put the paint on.  Its a laborious project but when done right you can be proud of your work.  I am redoing my SX/4 in all black this time around as the body is straight and only has a few minor door dings which are easily repaired.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 12:58:12 PM »
Sat down to draw up a rough sketch, but I was asked to work early. I saw some wagon templates someone used for a color scheme. Is there any  sx4 templates?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk