News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 09:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: filling her up  (Read 5186 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
Re: filling her up
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 03:52:33 PM »
All Eagles are unleaded.  All gas is unleaded these days.  Those stickers were for back in the day when leaded gas was still available.  The filler hole was decreased in size so the leaded nozzles would not fit.  Also, you can use Ethanol blends of up to 15%.  Most blends are around 10%.  I have used ethanol in all my vehicles for many, many years, with no problems.  My Ambassador was converted to use unleaded gas with the installation of new valves in the engine.  Its a high compression engine (10:1) and runs the 87 octane just fine.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »
I've stumbled into a tsb where amc recomended not to use 10 percent ethanol mixes as it destroys the fuel system. I've been running the stuff lately as that is all that I can find, and the engine dosent seem to mind it at all. I would just watch carefully for signs of fuel system corrosion
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »
I have had the Concord over 10 years and the Eagle nearly that long and the few fuel systems issues have been related to age.  I think our Carters really like Ethanol as I have never had any of the idle tube issues others complain about.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
If you replace all the fuel lines with modern stuff (especially Marine) you won't have the issues in most cases. Adding some Marvel Mystery oil to the gas tends to cut down the attack on the fuel tank from the inside. There are 2 different alcohols used. Methyl and Ethyl (wood and corn/etc) which are not too bad in low doses. They tried mixing the 2 in Canada and car fires were rampant for the next 2 years from the tanks rotting out the bottom and lines bursting.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
Interesting you mention your Ambassador Doug

Mine will spew everywhere I'd you don't watch it when filling up, and it's very very thirsty so you have to but gas a lot,.

Of course it's also very fast, so it's hard not to goose it alot too......

Glad to know its not just mine!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 06:46:10 PM »
Interesting you mention your Ambassador Doug

Mine will spew everywhere I'd you don't watch it when filling up, and it's very very thirsty so you have to but gas a lot,.

Of course it's also very fast, so it's hard not to goose it alot too......

Glad to know its not just mine!
So we need to find a fix.  Mine also needs the frequent gasoline attention.  It too is very fast and very thirsty when you are not cruising on the highway.  Those secondarys like their gasoline.  They are great sleeper cars.  Hey, its only a Rambler!  How fast can it be?

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »
according to this song it can outrun another car, and still be in second gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enqNl7tdLR4
1985 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk