News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 12:29:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: shift on the fly  (Read 1802 times)

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
shift on the fly
« on: January 05, 2014, 12:28:44 PM »
I understand that the 82 (and 83) eagles don't have shift on the fly, but I was wondering, what's the deal-  my pops jeep has a 4x4 floor shifter, so he can change while moving, my moms blazer has an electronic button switch, and my brother has about the same thing.  The only car I can remember us having where you had to stop, was a 90 something ranger, with the wheel locks.  If you were to somehow steer with your knees, and use both hands to shift the 4x4, would the car break, or would it be fine?  I assume it would break, or there would be no reason other than pure idiocy to build it like that.  If anyone has been risky/dumb enough to test this, is it possible? I did just see a thread on converting ot to shift on the fly, but it's not that big of a deal to me.  Also, (never had a 4x4 car before  :-[  ) i assume ita possible to shift on the fly, if your not moving, but you're slipping?  you're probably a stupid question, but don't teachers say something like," there no stupid questions... Just stupid students!!"  >:D

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
Re: shift on the fly
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:36:56 PM »
The not shift on the fly Eagles had a front axle disconnect which maybe on a good day added 1 mpg.  When AMC no longer made any AMC designed to 2WD cars and had Renaults to increase the CAFE level, they then dropped the stop and shift, disconnect axle and went to shift on the fly.  A stop and shift Eagle can be converted by locking the front disconnect axle.  Jeeps were not considered in the CAFE figures as they were trucks.  Eagles were too, but for some reason for CAFE they were considered cars.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: shift on the fly
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:00:13 AM »
It's an easy conversion
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk