News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 08, 2024, 10:45:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Creaking noise from front end  (Read 6018 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Creaking noise from front end
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:00:15 AM »
The last week or so my Eagle has developed an annoying creaky noise from the front end that only shows up at parking lot speeds. The noise happens while turning and with every bump in the pavement but only seems to show up at slow speeds of 5mph.

Can't figure out where it's coming from but I'd like to stop it as it's freakin' LOUD and annoying! Jacked the front end off the ground and manipulated everything by hand and couldn't figure it out. Pretty sure it's coming from the LF corner of the car.

Any ideas as to what the issue might be?
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Creaking noise from front end
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 01:01:30 AM »
Lube (wd40) one bushing at a time to locate it.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 01:35:20 AM »
Also turn the steering and then spin the wheel by hand
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eagle87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
most likely balljoints, or the spring is shifting on the seat, may also be the previously mentioned control arm bushings or strut rod bushings
2010 Ford Explorer (Red)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition (Blue)
2002 JeepGrand Cherokee Overland Edition (Silver) Rolled
2001 Cadillac Deville (Silver) Blown Engine :(
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (Graphite) Parts Jeep
1998 GMC Safari (Blue)
1990 Mercury Sable (Red)
1987 Eagle Wagon (Beige)
1987 Eagle wagon (Silver)
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited (Brown)
1986 Eagle sedan (Blue)
1983 Eagle SX/4 Sport (Black)
1982 Concord DL (Maroon)
1968 Rebel Conv (Gold)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »
I had this once, it was the upper control arm bushings in my case

Can you make the noise happen while its sitting on the ground and pushing up and down on the fender?

I oiled them for several years before I finally just replaced them, this was on a Javelin

Good luck with it, squeaks and rattles are always a challenge to track down

Rob
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:05:37 PM »
Mine was squeaking pretty bad last year. I sprayed the control arm bushings with a lube and it went away. It came back recently. Time for some more lube.  ;D
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 09:09:16 AM »
Yeah it squeaks when you push on the fender and when you jump in and out of the car. Hit everything I can find with WD40 and it still squeaked. The noise finally went away after doing 100 miles on the HWY in a downpour.

Sometime this summer I will be replacing everything that moves in the front end. My upper(?) balljoints are shot, just gotta get the time and funds to replace it all.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »
Any new bushings installed? If so, it is probably polyurethane. Poly bushings squeak terribly always, no matter how much WD40 you spray.

The only permaneant way to stop Poly squeaks is to assemble it with lots of never-seize everywhere. Rubber isn't nearly as bad, but even any time you see rubber and metal in direct contact in my car you will see lots and lots of oozing never-sieze. It works better than grease to stop squeaks.

Never-sieze is essentially petroleum oil based vaseline saturated with aluminum dust to keep it from washing off easily.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
Only new bushings so far are the ones on the rear bracket that hangs down from the frame.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »
Mine has this same issue, really loud and annoying. I tried using a couple different things without any change. Will try again. Should've put in new bushings and grease fittings when I had the control arms off, but couldn't afford it at the time.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »
Yeah it squeaks when you push on the fender and when you jump in and out of the car. Hit everything I can find with WD40 and it still squeaked. The noise finally went away after doing 100 miles on the HWY in a downpour.
Upper balljoint! (*・ω・)ノ
Sometime this summer I will be replacing everything that moves in the front end. My upper(?) balljoints are shot, just gotta get the time and funds to replace it all.
Don't forget the grinding wheel. If the balljoints are stock(likely yes), you'll have to tear out the rivets first.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 11:04:43 PM »
Upper balljoint! (*・ω・)ノ
Don't forget the grinding wheel. If the balljoints are stock(likely yes), you'll have to tear out the rivets first.

Yeah, who thought that one up? Bottom ball joints have been replaced but the uppers are stock.

Do the new ball joints come with bolts to go in place of the rivets or do I need to source those from the hardware store?

When I go to order the new parts which brand(s) of balljoints are good? For the control arm bushings, which ones do I want?

Thanks!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 04:55:39 AM »
Yeah, who thought that one up? Bottom ball joints have been replaced but the uppers are stock.
Remember, AMCs were supposed to be cheap re-trades but they didn't turn out that way let alone disposable. All my grandpa's old Fords outlived their purpose and if these AMCs are left stock, they will someday outlive their role too. Anyway I'm guessing the factory didn't plan for these kind of parts to wear out so they just used rivets.
Do the new ball joints come with bolts to go in place of the rivets or do I need to source those from the hardware store?
That's up to you. I went with a really nice MOOG replacement that was $16 per joint. Has greasing points and everything. I think I got them from Baxter. I remember seeing these for sale at Partstrain but I don't have any record of buying ball joints there so I guess try Baxter and NAPA. Mine looks like #MOK3082.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »
Remember, AMCs were supposed to be cheap re-trades but they didn't turn out that way let alone disposable. All my grandpa's old Fords outlived their purpose and if these AMCs are left stock, they will someday outlive their role too. Anyway I'm guessing the factory didn't plan for these kind of parts to wear out so they just used rivets.
That's up to you. I went with a really nice MOOG replacement that was $16 per joint. Has greasing points and everything. I think I got them from Baxter. I remember seeing these for sale at Partstrain but I don't have any record of buying ball joints there so I guess try Baxter and NAPA. Mine looks like #MOK3082.

I hear ya, dunno how many people have seen my Eagle and said they didn't expect the Eagles to be around this long let alone this well.

Is that part number good for all 4 joints?

What do you guys recommend for shocks? I need something on the extreme duty side as I do lots of time on dirt roads.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 03:23:53 AM »
Moog K3082 for upper and Moog K3153 for lower ball joints.

$12.32 and $26.79 each from Rock auto
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk