News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 30, 2024, 12:05:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Picked up an '82 several months ago  (Read 1769 times)

Offline brhodes

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Picked up an '82 several months ago
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:19:34 PM »
Brand new Eagle owner here, my first (though I've eyed them for many years).

Traded a 78 Wagoneer to a guy down the road for this '82 wagon and definitely got the better deal, at least in my opinion.

I originally thought the motor was going to be junk and planned on putting a 401 I pulled out of that Wagoneer into the Eagle. 

Looks like this swap is out, at least for now. Expected serious problems in the bottom end because the oil that was in it had clogged up most of the lifters, was getting very little oil to a few rockers, none to most, causing galding and bent rocker brackets, but turns out my concern was wrong. Pulled the head, replaced the lifters, straightened out the rocker brackets and replaced the bad rockers, put it all back together and it runs perfectly. Well, mostly, there's the problem of 18 year old gas (nearly a full tank), but once that's drained and fresh stuff put in, should be driveable.

Had to pull the tranny and do some repairs because my youngest boy got rough with the shifter and broke the...well, not sure what it's called, but it's the piece that slips down the shaft in the shifter top that keeps the forks where they need to be. Couldn't find a replacement part, so I had to weld that one up, grind, sand, polish, etc. Works fine now, though, and once it has clean gas, a new muffler and some tires, I'll be using it for my daily driver.

Incidentally, I'm a long-time AMC guy. Dodge is my first love (I think the first cars we own will either ruin us on them, or on everything else), but I love AMC's because of their unique look, rarity, and because like many Dodges, they were great performers right off the factory production line. The heads were built to breathe and give you plenty of go, and a simple cam swap can give you a 25% horsepower increase with almost no other modification, without the worry of destroying the bottom end.

I also own:
90 Grand Wagoneer (360 auto, but would like to find a 4 speed drivetrain for it some day)
76 Matador (304 Auto, but would like to find a T-10 and put that 401 I have in it)
89 Cherokee (I hate the thing)

And I'm planning on trading the guy down the road out of a couple of Ramblers he has, though they might take a back seat to the '73 Scout he just picked up...gotta have that thing.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Picked up an '82 several months ago
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:41:12 PM »
Welcome. Looking forward to some pics and progress.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:02:10 PM »
Welcome to the nest!

Those 258's are tough, took one recently that had sat for 15 years, fresh oil, gas and water and a simple tune up and she runs so smooth sometimes I can't tell if its on sometimes!

Good luck with your project, keep us posted on progress, and we LOVE pictures!

Rob
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:04:17 PM »
Welcome to the Nest!  You are going to love your Eagle.  Hopefully we'll see some pictures of it soon.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:09:17 AM »
Welcome from WV...............

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk