News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 16, 2024, 12:46:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bringing Out The Shine.  (Read 2077 times)

Offline PAcowboy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
Bringing Out The Shine.
« on: July 25, 2012, 01:05:45 AM »
What are you guys using to bring out the shine on the aluminum bumpers? I have used Mother's Aluminum and Mag Wheel Polish and have rubbed and rubbed. Yes, the oxidation comes off but, the bumpers remain, in some areas, blotched by the elements. Plus, it takes hours to do and, they don't stay shiny.

I would like to cover (paint) them with a rubber coating like Eastwood's Rubber Bonding. If I could find a color like my garnet paint, it would be great. But, how do you etch it? And, how can this be done to last? Any idea's?  The rear bumper is in great condition. The front is all discolored. I don't want them to start pitting.

Steve

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Bringing Out The Shine.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:54:01 AM »
I used 3m's fast cut compound (in the yellow bottle), with my buffer to bring some shine back to the bumpers on the sx. I spent about 30 minutes between the two, so with a bit more time (I was running low then) they'll come back nicely.

Made quite a difference already.

As far as what to use if you go the paint route, etch primer, not the cheap stuff you can get anywhere, the good stuff you have to buy from the body shop suppliers. My local one carries ppg products, and the DPX they have is awesome, but rather pricey (they recommended this product for etching a bare aluminum boat). 
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline PAcowboy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »
Thanx shaggimo for the advice.

I think I'll go the paint route. I know aluminum doesn't hold it's shine forvery long and rather doing it now then having to do it again in say 2 years, I'll just go the paint route.

Steve

Offline cadman929

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:11:14 PM »
i know this is an old topic, but while i havent tried it on my bumper yet, on my motocross bike which has an aluminum frame i use mothers aluminum polish and it gives a mirror like finish that last a very long time! hope this helps someone out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk