News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• October 06, 2024, 08:30:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I'm about to be a new Eagle owner.  (Read 2269 times)

Offline SLaw

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
I'm about to be a new Eagle owner.
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:24:43 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum (it looks great by the way) and I am considering purchasing a 1986 Eagle sedan. The car is a 4.2 four door automatic (not my favorite type of shift, but it'll do). I have always respected these cars and am excited to, most likely, be owning one soon. My question is I do plan to us this car as a daily driver and I was wondering how easy it is to come across parts for these fine vehicles, I am pretty handy with cars and have partially restored a 1966 El Camino, a 1984 Corvette, a 1986 Monte Carlo SS, and my current vehicle which will be replaced by the Eagle a 1998 Silverado 4x2. I own the Corvette right now as well but the rest of the vehicles have come and gone to make way for the next. I have, however, never owned a 4x4 and am excited for the opportunity and love original "old school" vehicles and the Eagle seems like a great car definitely capable of being driven daily in any sort of midwest whether... So my question is how many of you use your Eagles as daily transportation/driving projects and are there enough resources available out there for this to be practical?
Once again, it's great to be part of your forum and I appreciate your time in reading this and any potential feedback.
SLaw

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: I'm about to be a new Eagle owner.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:45:21 PM »
i had an 86 original at one point. as soon as i gotvit i put a 229 case in it. that 128 case effectivelly makes it a 1 wheel drive on certain cumstances. other than that i loved it as it was.

welcome

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »
Welcome, I used my Eagle as a daily for 3 years and besides a transmission going out, it was very reliable. I had to get something a little less thirsty since I have a 60+ round trip commute to work. I routinely take one of my Eagles cross country without worry.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »
I use my Eagle as a daily driver and have not encountered anything I could not overcome.  However, my philosophy on using an older car like an Eagle as a daily driver is to always have a backup.  Some might interpret that as meaning you should have two Eagles  ;D.  Just my opinion.  And welcome!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:01:53 PM by vangremlin »
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 12:07:54 AM »
The Eagle bug eventually bites everyone after they get their first Eagle.  I got bitten about 25 years ago, and have had over 20 Eagles.  I have 4 now, and had 6 at one time.  Yes they do make great daily drivers. They make better road trip cars. I find my Eagle to be one of the more comfortable cars I have used for a trip....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline SLaw

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »
Thanks, yea, that's good to know. It will not be my only car so I think i'll go for it. I'll post some pictures on here once I get it!! Thanks for the feedback!

Offline fritzsch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »
There is decent parts availability from the parts stores, body and interior parts are harder to come by though. Drivetrain parts shouldn't be a problem since they were used in jeeps as well.

Offline kalve

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »
a lot of the parts from jeep will work in these eagles you can go to the jeep forums an they know what works good on these eagles to. I have a 85 Eagle wagon an using it for a daily driver going to go with more jeep parts for radiator, wheels etc.. an check cl and bay for parts. You got any questions just ask people on here will help you out & check some of the topics on here I posted I asked bout the same questions bout mine.

Modified referances for parts
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:12:57 PM by mudkicker715 »
64 T bird landau
70 Cougar Convertible Hurst 4 speed
74 F250 Crewcab shortbed
85 Eagle Wagon 4wd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk