News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 07:25:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: pump rotor alignment tool?  (Read 3603 times)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
pump rotor alignment tool?
« on: August 27, 2012, 12:07:23 AM »
My does the service manual call for this to put the torque converter on? How else should I put it back on?

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: pump rotor alignment tool?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:19:53 AM »
Never heard of one. i however rebuilt a number of these trannys. the only thing i can think of is the torque convertor only bolts on the flex plate one way. no tool is required to move the tq into place however. just rotate untill all bolts line up.

Manitowoc WI

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 07:56:03 AM »
My does the service manual call for this to put the torque converter on? How else should I put it back on?

Sure the manual is not referring to a clutch alignment tool for use when installing a new clutch for a manual tranny?
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »
also make sure that the torque converter is seated into the input of the trans or you'll never get the trans mounted back in the car
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:53:36 PM »
Rotor alignment? No. TORQUEflite! Not clutchflite! O_o
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 02:58:26 AM »
If it's the correct converter, you can slide it on, then wiggle it up and down while pressing in and spinning. You should hear 3 clunks as it locks all the way in. When done it should have the hub slightly behind the edge of the bellhousing (1/2" to 1") I can eyeball them but others need a straight edge. It usually has a slight dragging noise when it's all the way down. A little lube on the new front seal (first!), some ATF in the converter and you're good to go!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:05:16 AM »
If it's the correct converter, you can slide it on, then wiggle it up and down while pressing in and spinning. You should hear 3 clunks as it locks all the way in. When done it should have the hub slightly behind the edge of the bellhousing (1/2" to 1") I can eyeball them but others need a straight edge. It usually has a slight dragging noise when it's all the way down. A little lube on the new front seal (first!), some ATF in the converter and you're good to go!

What do you mean the new front seal?

And is there a gasket that goes to from the transmission to the converter? I forgot if i seen one or not.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »
You have to replace the seal that rides on the converter neck or you will VERY likely be pulling it out again to stop a major leak.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk