News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 01:42:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sluggish and noisy  (Read 1944 times)

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Sluggish and noisy
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:44:22 AM »
Hey all, this is the 83 SX4 with AT I'm trying to diagnose. My wife and myself have both noticed that this car has a noticeable lack of power over our old wagon. Given that it's lighter weight, and has the MC2150 and TFI ignition upgrades, it really shouldn't be! It's sluggish to take off from a stop, and to accelerate, but does seem to shift through all the gears just fine. Tranny fluid is full, red, and not burnt, but I've not yet replaced the filter. The other major symptoms are  a moderately loud whining noise when it's in neutral especially, and somewhat in reverse, and clunking when initially put into gear, especially when cold. I'm suspecting the torque converter, but really don't know trannys that well. It seems like the tranny is just not getting enough power from the engine. Oh yeah.........the car is also running on the hot side, if that symptom could be related, but probably just needs a new radiator. I'd appreciate any ideas, tips, badmouthing, beer, or pictures that can be provided!
Thanks,
~E
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:09:32 AM by BaldEagle »

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Sluggish and noisy
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »
Sounds like mine before the converter dropped. Trans cooler was clogged up and dropped line pressure so the gears weren't fully engaging.
Gear ratio and tire size will affect it too.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:51:25 PM »
All right, I was thinking the gears were reverse that............2.7 installed and 2.35 to be put in. What Casper was referring to was mismatched gears between front and back. 4WD is NOT being used! Tire size should be pretty close to stock, 205/75 R15 I think. I should at least visually check the converter, though, because of the noise symptoms. IDK if it can be tested or not, but I hate throwing money blindly into cars. Can that be seen through the "access panel" I've heard of, or with the tranny's pan off while replacing the filter?
Thanks,
~E

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »
Okay, then I'll probably just replace the tranny filter and gears first and see if that helps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk