News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 05:29:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Automatic "T" bar button broken  (Read 3797 times)

beej8508

Automatic "T" bar button broken
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:44:40 PM »

Today, the button on the T bar shift lever quit working.  I have neutral and drive available to me...but without the spring for the button I cant get the transmission to go into reverse..park, 2nd and 1st gear.

How do I tear it apart? I can't see any screws that hold the black plastic parts together. 

What generally causes this to happen?

Thanks!!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Automatic "T" bar button broken
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
put the transmission into 1 if it'll go, in not 2 or D.  Get into the back seat and grab the plastic handle and pull up and back real hard.  There's a groove in the round bar and a rib on the platic handle that slots into it.   I didn't have the strenght to pull off my T-handle so my husband had to do it for me.

I know on most of these the spring loses tension and the button sticks in but when that happens you can normally put it in all positions.  Perhaps the cable is broken that connects the lever the button pushes to the detent rack down on the trans tunnel under the shifter bezel.  Or maybe the lever the button pushes on is broken.  Anyway, after you get the t-handle off you can see the lever and if its okay, if it is remove the shifter bezel and you should be able to see how it works and figure out what's wrong from there.  You should be able to remove the detent mechanism altogether for a workable, if a little crude, fix.

Offline midtownboarder

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
put the transmission into 1 if it'll go, in not 2 or D.  Get into the back seat and grab the plastic handle and pull up and back real hard.  There's a groove in the round bar and a rib on the platic handle that slots into it.

they come off the same way in a cherokee, i did it that way and ended up smacking myself in the face with the handle and my head on the ceiling when it came off  :rotfl:
81 sx/4 - stock...
82 sx/4 - restore project...
81 sx/4 - crawler project...
99 xj - 6.5" lift, 35" km/2's, locked, etc...
95 pathfinder - daily driver...

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 09:13:29 PM »
This is just the shifter killing itself when you don't need it. Undo the four top screws on the black plastic cover, the two screws on the cluster gauge housing and then pull the T of the handle straight up and out. I'm currently running my car with this safety off. To fix it you need to undo the shifter bar and replace it, then reassemble the T handle. I had this happen to me roughly two months before my transmission gave out. It has nothing to do with transmission performance but it does affect your physical ability to shift gears. It's caused by a spring loaded cable that comes loose from years of wear. I have a replacement ready but never got around to it. :/
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 10:17:10 PM »

they come off the same way in a cherokee, i did it that way and ended up smacking myself in the face with the handle and my head on the ceiling when it came off  :rotfl:

Sounds like something I would do!!!  Thanks for the laugh.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »

here's an egg for admitting and bringing back bad memories ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

rohnk

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 12:19:44 AM »
 :laughing4:

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 12:14:55 AM »
DaemonForce Is correct and yes the handle does come off rather easy. I normally just grab the handle in neutral push the button and rip up towards the ceiling. The reason this happens is there is a small piece of wire with a feral on what looks like a pulley, after 30 years the wire splits and eventually snaps.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 01:03:45 AM »
Mine is just bound in with a screw so the button doesn't move anymore!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk