News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 28, 2024, 11:52:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 80 coupe with sloppy steering  (Read 6095 times)

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
80 coupe with sloppy steering
« on: June 17, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »
I've searched quite a bit, and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I'm looking at buying a 1980 Eagle coupe, that the owner describes as having sloppy steering. I know that's not much info to go by, but would like some insight as to what to look for when we test drive it. The owner also said that the car was run through a barbed wire fence, and he believes that may have caused the damage.
Thanks,
~Eric

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
Re: 80 coupe with sloppy steering
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »
Could just be a worn or disconnected stabilizer.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »
And/or a worn out pitman arm (very common).   If he went through a fence, may have messed up the toe setting (like bent a tie rod or something).   If the tow is way off, can make it "feel" like sloppy steering when driving.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 05:35:02 PM »
with the car off, have someone sit in the car and wiggle the steering wheel back and forth. the "tension" to make it hard to turn will be the force of turning the tires. that will make any worn/loose parts visible. just follow the linkage from the steering box to each tire and look for movement. also x2 on the tow. if it is a loose pitman arm, the big nut holding it on the steering box should turn, while the arm doesnt. good luck!

the little nut as the big nut has the splines.

Manitowoc WI

79eagle

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »
My 80 4dr. had very scary steering with a badly worn pitman arm.  Later replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends; Drives like new.
Alex Wade

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »
Casper. anything is possible i guess. i just fought to pop a piarm off the splines. ended up cutting a split. so was really thing it would be impossible to get slop there.

Manitowoc WI

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 10:24:29 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas, this was the soonest I could get back on here with father's day going on's. It would sure be nice if I could tighten the pitman arm nut just to get it home! I believe they've already replaced the control arm bushings, to no avail. There is included in the sale some other new parts that may fix the issue, but we need to get it over 200 miles home first. It must be bad enough, that the owner mentioned possibly having to tow it back. Speaking of which, since this is basically an AWD, would I have any problems using a tow dolly, or is there anything such as the drive line that can be disconnected to do so?
~E

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »
It takes a double look to see any taper.

Manitowoc WI

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »
It takes a double look to see any taper.

I'm assuming you mean to determine which nut on the box is for the pitman arm? If it's slightly tapered like a pipe thread, and has the smaller of the two nuts, I should be able to locate it. Further research tells me that the stabilizer may help as a band-aid for death wobble, but prob has no effect on steering slop?

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
Further research tells me that the stabilizer may help as a band-aid for death wobble, but prob has no effect on steering slop?

I consider the steering stabilizer critical, but certainly it won't do anything for steering slop. If a component is damaged and about to break you don't want to be on the highway when it happens. If the person who said the comment noticed a sudden change in steering behavior after years of driving it, then you can trust that something somewhere is damaged and must be replaced.

I do suspect that the person who described it as steering slop had no actual clue what is underneath the car. I've had a friend of mine say that about his father's Cherokee once. His daily driver was a quick ratio, direct drive sport car. The Cherokee had a variable ratio steering box. He condemned it as unsafe to drive because the one time he drove it he didn't understand the concept of 17:1 in the center and 13:1 at the sides for quick and responsive turns without the jittery straight driving. Consider the source of your information.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:59:19 PM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
Good points, Cat............I got the impression that the current owner hasn't had the car for long, and wasn't the one who put it through a barbed wire fence. He just may not know how it's supposed to handle. Our dilemma is the 200 mile trip to go check it out and possibly buy it. If we knew it safe to drive home, we could take a much more economical car than the truck needed to tow it. Probably better to be prepared for the worst.
~E

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 01:28:14 PM »
I usually go with a car then rent a truck and trailer to bring both back if needed.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 08:07:32 PM »
I may just do that. After all, the coupe could drive home just fine.

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 07:56:57 PM »
Where is it located?

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 08:02:27 PM »
It was in Pasco, WA, but sold before we could get the insurance money for it.
Bummer..........it looked really nice, too!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk