News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 12:41:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The capped air line bolted to the driver side  (Read 1722 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
The capped air line bolted to the driver side
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:26:35 PM »
Does anyone here still have this? I do and it doesn't go anywhere. I'm in the middle of cleaning up my manifolds and noticed the line that comes up onto the driver's side of the engine compartment from what looks like the differential. Does anyone know what this is...Errr was? There's a break in the line where the EGR stuff plugs into the exhaust. I'm guessing the header got hot and roasted the rubber line in two.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: The capped air line bolted to the driver side
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:13:19 AM »
Thats a vent for the front differential I think
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 02:37:00 AM »
Aha! I was right! This thing breathes! (≧◡≦)

So...I definitely need to unmount this thing and replace the line. What is a common consequence of not doing this or just letting the line expose itself directly to the atmosphere? I believe my differential may be contaminated with a bunch of caked oil from 30 years and God knows what else. How can I check for damage?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:57:48 PM »
Don't drive through heavy water with the hose hanging. If you don't know the last time someone changed the fluid in the differentials then now's the time to do it. As long as the gears don't look pitted you're fine.

It's just a few bolts and an inexpensive gasket to drain and fill. The hose is just normal rubber hose, and the plastic part on top prevents water from draining in. Check the hose in the back that should connect from the axle to a little nipple up on the body as well.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk