News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 25, 2024, 11:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modern trim clips?  (Read 4153 times)

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
Modern trim clips?
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »
I went out to do a little more demo work today on the Black Mamba, removing exterior trim (fenders, side windows, etc.). As I was trying to be careful not to bend up the chrome trim and trying not to bust the plastic trim clips... I busted so many of these darn little things. Being they are 31 years old and brittle as can be, it was very easy to do.
Now my question is -
Has anyone tried and/or found a good more modern and plentiful replacement for these clips that work?

Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
Re: Modern trim clips?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:25:20 PM »
Related question - is there a black rubber trim that would replace the chrome?
Michael Maskalans
Codriver, Game Day Racing - Ultra4 #571
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s
'97 Ram 3500 - 13sp RoadRanger

'87 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Saint Michael" - Daily driver status.
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Swamp Thing" - project in need of a bath
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/4sp - parts car

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:32:52 PM »
The Eagle Nest store used to sell the clips and associated barrel clips for the trim around the wheel wells and rumor has it they are trying to get some more for when the store re-opens
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »
Does anyone know when the store will reopen? Reason I ask is that last week I ordered several of these clips and several other ones from the store before I remembered it was closed.I was shocked when I found these clips that I needed and have been looking for that I went ahead and ordered them then remembered the store was closed.I paid for them and then realized the store was closed. Still need those clips though.So does anyone have any info? Thanks
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 07:24:26 PM »
Does anyone know when the store will reopen? Reason I ask is that last week I ordered several of these clips and several other ones from the store before I remembered it was closed.I was shocked when I found these clips that I needed and have been looking for that I went ahead and ordered them then remembered the store was closed.I paid for them and then realized the store was closed. Still need those clips though.So does anyone have any info? Thanks

I would send a PM to steveabn8295b.  He'll give you the latest info.  He's doing a great job keeping the Nest a thriving community.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 07:25:31 PM »

Let me know what you ordered.  I will see if I have the parts to fill it.  Our order records were lost when the software was corrupted.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:32:38 AM »
IowaEagle,I ordered I believe twelve or so of the trim clips part number 79-590 and some other fasterer but really don't remember how many.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

steveabn8295b

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 09:54:35 AM »
I am building the new store as we speak , your patience is appreciated.

Thank you

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »
IowaEagle,I ordered I believe twelve or so of the trim clips part number 79-590 and some other fasterer but really don't remember how many.

PM your mailing address to me, and the other clip if you remember it.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »
I assume no one has found or tried a more modern and/or differing style clip that works?  ???
I just haven't had much luck with the "factory style" clips, the shaft/posts are smaller than the holes and just come right back out.  :banghead:

I am needing something very soon to re-install all the trim.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Tennessee_Farmer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 53
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 11:22:56 PM »
Go to the "For Sale" section of the Forum and look for "Clips and Fasteners" advertised by Tennessee_Farmer.

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 11:29:06 PM »
Thank you for letting me know Tennessee_Farmer. I found some about a month or so back, otherwise I would've hit ya up on those.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk