News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 05:14:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What to check for - leaky tranny after moving the car  (Read 3194 times)

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
What to check for - leaky tranny after moving the car
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:33:41 AM »
My Eagle sat in the same spot for over a year, I recently pushed it into the garage and within a day it dumped a large puddle of tranny fluid. Didn't seem to leak before I moved it. Where should I start?

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: What to check for - leaky tranny after moving the car
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:13:15 AM »
I would pull the whole thing apart and find out. What transmission do you have?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:57:29 PM »
I'd assume it's the auto 998, stock '88.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:10:42 PM »
Dipstick tube Oring
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:49:22 PM »
You sure it's coming from the transmission? If so from about where? If I were to guess without see the location of the puddle, it may be from the transfer case. If one of the output shafts seals were to get dry and stick to the yolk, it could have torn when you moved it. If that is the case, changing either of the output shaft seals isn't too difficult.  Making any progress with the engine?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:45:57 AM »
Both drips could be coming from the same place (but the garage heater hasn't been on and it's freezing so I don't wanna crawl under there to get a better look), but there's a drip at the rear of the transmission pan and it looks like the rest is coming from the bellhousing. When tougeagle and I were bolting the tranny back up to the engine a couple years back, we accidentally put a bit of pressure on the shaft and some tranny fluid leaked out of the bellhousing. He filled it back up and I drove it for awhile with no issue, unsure if that could be related. I'll try to get a better look tomorrow after letting the garage warm up and cleaning up the puddles.

As for the engine, it's actually going quite well. I got the 4.0 head bolted on and swapped the rocker assemblies from the 4.2 over. Ripped out the AC and relocated the alternator a bit to fit without a new pulley (using spacers), so just need to buy a new belt to go around the crank pulley. I need to find someone with a cutting wheel so I can cut off the end of the power steering bracket that will be in the way of the exhaust. And, finally, I need to order a 4.0 exhaust manifold (there's one going for $79 with free shipping on ebay right now, including gasket!) and figure out what modifications I need to make for that to fit.

After everything is bolted up again, I need to figure out if my dizzy cap and rotor could stand to be replaced and then figure out the timing (which I've never done). Should be an interesting week coming up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk