News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 10:25:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A904->AW4 swap?  (Read 7309 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
A904->AW4 swap?
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:22:35 AM »
I have finally stopped relating my Eagle to every other mid-80's Jeep and I'm focused on keeping me and the classic bird out of the shop every other season. To make this happen, the drivetrain needs to be changed. It should be no worse than the Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Since the years are within 1 mark of my Eagle, they look similar and share the same drivetrain traits, I'd like to know what I'm looking at when it comes to switching parts. It's safe to say I have the exact same reaction to the Wagoneer as others do when they see my Eagle for the first time: "What IS that thing?" ::)

My current setup:
Engine: AMC 4.2L
Tran: Chrysler A904
T-Case: NP129
Rear: AM20.273

Simple goal: I need to drop the A904. Period. The end. I'll finally go to a stronger, stable, hopefully non-Chrysler transmission and retain the option of switching to a NP229 tranfer case. Since I see one bolted to every strategically perched Wagoneer, I'm going to pull it from one. Oddly, they're all behind an automatic so I need to know how to identify them and if I can use them. I've tried to find information about the stock options of these wagons but can't find ANYTHING other than Jeep discussions of the TF727 and AW4. The AW4 interests me. Do the Wagoneers usually have them and do they have the AMC bolt pattern? I would REALLY like to swap one in with minimal work. Thanks. :amc:
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: A904->AW4 swap?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »
Grand Wagoneers never had the AW4. They had either the TF727 or sometimes a maunal transmission. The AW4 was found in Jeep Cherokees from 87-2001 and also in Jeep Comanches with the 4.0l. It shares the same bellhousing pattern as the AMC 6 and V8 patterns. There is nothing wrong with the Torqueflite transmissions they are simple and relatively cheap to have rebuilt. The AW4 is an electronic transmission. You will have to get a wiring harness from an AW4 equipped XJ(Cherokee) or MJ(Comanche) and sort out the wires that are needed just for the transmission. It is best to get the harness and computer from 87-95 Jeep, less wiring since it is OBDI. There is no need to go fuel injection, you just have to mount up a TPS and TV cable to your carb. Search AW4 swap on Google .
TCI makes a remote TPS that may work with an AW4 but not sure. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-377401
Here's some info that may help:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151081
http://theamcforum.com/forum/aw4-conversion-by-rick-sc397_topic15549.html
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »
I have finally stopped relating my Eagle to every other mid-80's Jeep and I'm focused on keeping me and the classic bird out of the shop every other season. To make this happen, the drivetrain needs to be changed. It should be no worse than the Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Since the years are within 1 mark of my Eagle, they look similar and share the same drivetrain traits, I'd like to know what I'm looking at when it comes to switching parts. It's safe to say I have the exact same reaction to the Wagoneer as others do when they see my Eagle for the first time: "What IS that thing?" ::)

My current setup:
Engine: AMC 4.2L
Tran: Chrysler A904
T-Case: NP129
Rear: AM20.273

Simple goal: I need to drop the A904. Period. The end. I'll finally go to a stronger, stable, hopefully non-Chrysler transmission and retain the option of switching to a NP229 tranfer case. Since I see one bolted to every strategically perched Wagoneer, I'm going to pull it from one. Oddly, they're all behind an automatic so I need to know how to identify them and if I can use them. I've tried to find information about the stock options of these wagons but can't find ANYTHING other than Jeep discussions of the TF727 and AW4. The AW4 interests me. Do the Wagoneers usually have them and do they have the AMC bolt pattern? I would REALLY like to swap one in with minimal work. Thanks. :amc:

'80 or newer FSJs (easily spotted by looking for the front driveshaft which is driver's side like the Eagle) came with 727, 999 (option on 6 cyls), T176/177 (6 cyl), T-5 (6 cyl) or T18A (V8)

Transfercase options were NP219 ('80-early '83), NP229 (late '82 to '91 except '86), NP228 ('86ish), NP208 ('80 to '88. All standard trans and some autos). NP208 had 2 options. 23 spline on everything except T18 which was 31 spline (same as Ford)

The V8 and 6 cyl are same pattern trans, but '87 they changed the starter from the same as the Eagle to the same as 4.0L and they offset the flexplate too. V8 flexplate is engine specific balance. The inline 6 cyls are all internally balanced.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:40:40 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 04:48:44 PM »
Grand Wagoneers never had the AW4. They had either the TF727 or sometimes a maunal transmission. The AW4 was found in Jeep Cherokees from 87-2001 and also in Jeep Comanches with the 4.0l. It shares the same bellhousing pattern as the AMC 6 and V8 patterns.
So I need to pull one of these transmissions from a Cherokee? The Comanche is too rare and they're 2WD anyway so I'll skip it.
There is nothing wrong with the Torqueflite transmissions they are simple and relatively cheap to have rebuilt.
It's supposed to be. When you're stuck rebuilding one more than twice a year it's not. I had this problem before and I'll be glad when it's gone for good.
'80 or newer FSJs (easily spotted by looking for the front driveshaft which is driver's side like the Eagle) came with 727, 999 (option on 6 cyls), T176/177 (6 cyl), T-5 (6 cyl) or T18A (V8)
Any tagging to confirm that it is what it is? ::)
The V8 and 6 cyl are same pattern trans, but '87 they changed the starter from the same as the Eagle to the same as 4.0L and they offset the flexplate too. V8 flexplate is engine specific balance. The inline 6 cyls are all internally balanced.
So if I pull one of these transmissions from a 4L I may have to use another flexplate?
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:07:12 PM »
Grand Wagoneers never had the AW4. They had either the TF727 or sometimes a maunal transmission. The AW4 was found in Jeep Cherokees from 87-2001 and also in Jeep Comanches with the 4.0l. It shares the same bellhousing pattern as the AMC 6 and V8 patterns.
So I need to pull one of these transmissions from a Cherokee? The Comanche is too rare and they're 2WD anyway so I'll skip it.
There is nothing wrong with the Torqueflite transmissions they are simple and relatively cheap to have rebuilt.
It's supposed to be. When you're stuck rebuilding one more than twice a year it's not. I had this problem before and I'll be glad when it's gone for good.
So if I pull one of these transmissions from a 4L I may have to use another flexplate?

Comachees were available in 4x4 also.

Sounds like there was a problem with the rebuilding process.

If you want to install an AW4, you will need to use the 4.0L flexplate, torque converter and starter for an AW4.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 07:11:38 PM »

This is the one where the trans cooler in the rad died and flooded the trans with antifreeze?

A 999 from a pre'91 YJ needs the flexplate and starter (unless it's a Ford style starter like the Eagle) Later ones use a computer controlled 32RE (999 is aka 32RH)

4.0L and 4.2L are both internally balanced and swap easily. If your Eagle's flexplate has 2 converter patterns, then it will bolt to a 727 as well.

There is a stamping on the side of the FSJ trans, but the only automatics are 999 or 727 (999 is fairly rare and only behind the 6 cyls) Check the shape of the trans pan. 9xx series all use the same pan. 727 looks similar but there is a bulge in the pattern near where the dipstick goes in.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 06:09:29 AM »
This is the one where the trans cooler in the rad died and flooded the trans with antifreeze?
That would have been easier for me. This was half a year ago when I went out to Portland to get something for this car(door handles) and ended up in Vancouver with a stuck Carter carb, a blown valve tube and nowhere to pull over while ATF was pouring out constantly. This was a GOOD thing. God knows what kind of hellish grief I would have dealt with in Portland. That bird would have ended up on the news or something. x_x
4.0L and 4.2L are both internally balanced and swap easily. If your Eagle's flexplate has 2 converter patterns, then it will bolt to a 727 as well.
Sweet. Looks like I might grab that too.
There is a stamping on the side of the FSJ trans, but the only automatics are 999 or 727 (999 is fairly rare and only behind the 6 cyls) Check the shape of the trans pan. 9xx series all use the same pan. 727 looks similar but there is a bulge in the pattern near where the dipstick goes in.
I believe I've seen this on my own transmissions. A neatly machined edge with a long serial number and the transmission ID somewhere in that mess. Looks like I'll need to bring some ether with me the next time I try to identify some of this filthy junk.
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 12:25:39 AM »
Shape of the pan is all you need to match up.
this is a 727 (bump in the shape of the pan is the giveaway)
http://www.street2mud.com/albums/Mechanical/TF_999_Band_Adjustment.gif
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:29:40 AM by carnuck »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk