News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 29, 2024, 12:14:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: installing a new half shaft ???????  (Read 3748 times)

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
installing a new half shaft ???????
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »
Can some one help me with all I need to know on replacing a passanger side half shaft ???? Please and thank you !!
Jim
'

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: installing a new half shaft ???????
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:27:06 AM »
The link is well-written and illustrated. A couple of additional hints...it's a bit easier to get the halfshaft out if the car is lifted up and the wheel end allowed to extend fully down. Also do not extend the new halfshaft until you're ready to place the outer end through the hub. The inner boot may tear and the inner joint will come apart if it's overextended. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:17:09 AM »
Thanks so much !!! I cant seem to get anything on a search on here , just not smart enough I guess :)

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:56:39 AM »
correct !!! I have now and have book marked it thanks you very much :-)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:20:45 PM »
When I did my first one, I lifted it and fought to get it done. Second one, I did on ramps with the front level and it was a piece of cake!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:55:18 PM »
After I got started it was pretty straight forward. no problems at all. Guess I worry too much abut things like that  :-) but the info on here is sooooo helpful and the people are as well. Thanks to everyone.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 07:32:57 PM »
When I did my first one, I lifted it and fought to get it done. Second one, I did on ramps with the front level and it was a piece of cake!
This is what I wanted to mention. The guide is only well written if this is a 2nd or 3rd replacement. Otherwise the axle has been on there for a good 10 years or more, caked with dirt, rust and God knows what. You'll need a breaker bar, 7mm and 8mm hex sockets, a star socket and a little bit of muscle. Maybe some pry tools if it's real bad. I had to undo my wheel, the brakes, the bearing hub and THEN the axle finally came free. Took me a total of 3 days on jack stands because I didn't really know what tools I needed and didn't want to risk breaking anything. It's all strong anyway so all my precautions didn't matter. Looking at the other side, I could probably repeat this job in under 3 hours now.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 07:48:53 PM »
Should take  half hour. those hex bolts have loktite so torching is necessary to break them free. after the torch it should be easy as sin.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk