News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 01, 2024, 03:41:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tube A arms  (Read 4749 times)

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
Tube A arms
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »
Do the arms from other amc car modles fit our eagles? if so can someone tell me what they thing about the a arm kits that are here?
http://www.freakride.com/2011_amc_suspension.pdf
thanks

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: Tube A arms
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:13:28 PM »
Wow, I'll have to contact them about the Eagle. I bet the upper arms could be used, but the lowers arms are definitely different from the 2wd AMCs.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »
I spoke to them at a show in Atlanta. The product is a work of art in person but at over $3,000 for just the front end kit, it will put 99.9% of the Eagle owners out of the picture. If they thought there was a market for it they would make something for an Eagle.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »
I am fairly certain that everything from the front A-Arm on up is identical to other AMCs. The knuckle and lower arm are different to clear the front axle.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
I played with lifts on Eagles some time ago and wished I could find a modified upper arm with 2-3" of lift built into it. I made a spacer setup, but that's just not the same.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »
Most Eagle owners do not have welding skills and are overwhelmed by the thought of lowering our IFS or even installing a solid axle. They want a bolt together solution for about 3 inches of lift. If this company could offer that for less than 2K I think they would have sizeable sales.

The bare minimum kit to accomplish that would be a custom top A arm, a crossmember to unibody spacer, and a custom control arm bracket.

Its true that everything from the top A-arm up is identical to all the other AMC's after 1970. Their kit shown on page 5 of the link would be a good place to start. Its apparent that they used original ball joints so our Eagle spindle and wheel bearing assemblies would be directly compatible. It would be easier to modify their kit than to make your own from scratch. The catch is that if you had the skills and resources to do the necessary modifications, you would probably not be willing to spend the money they want for their kit and you would then just end up choosing to make the whole thing.

Their upper arm is intended to have the coilover shock go through the center of it and attach to the lower control arm. That would not work because we have a CV shaft in that area. We would have to add a landing area on the top A arm for the bottom of the shock. Then we'd need to use a stock shock and spring or push their shock up higher into the original shock tower. The Eagle lower control arm is very similar to the Spirit one they based theirs off of except that it is flatter because the entire cross member is thicker and lower on the Eagle.

I think this company would see sales to Eagle owners if they offered a bolt together only kit that raised an Eagle 3 inches while keeping the CV shafts straight and using the original crossmember and axle supports. This is rather possible but also rather complicated because you would need to use the original upper control arm bolt locations. One person here on the nest pulled that off but had to machine a custom spindle that was longer than original. Ideally it would be better to change the A arms than the cast spindle but it takes much more work to maintain the original geometry.

In my future projects I plan on replacing the entire front subframe and incorporating the upper control arm bolts to solve that issue in a different method. I could incorporate a minor lift easily by welding in a new subframe and lower shock tower instead of changing the original hardware or geometry. That is a better solution for a rusted out Eagle that already needs subframe reinforcement. Obviously it would be much more involved than a bolt together solution like this company could potentially offer.

Thanks for the great link! Its inspirational.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »
Thanks for the info this is why i love this site! The price does hurt, a lot! I think that coilover setup is what i want. And i really like the idea of spacing the drive train down. thanks. has anyone done coilovers and gained lift?

Offline hypereagle

• SX4! A car that's in a league of it's own.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »
Most Eagle owners do not have welding skills and are overwhelmed by the thought of lowering our IFS or even installing a solid axle. They want a bolt together solution for about 3 inches of lift. If this company could offer that for less than 2K I think they would have sizeable sales.

The bare minimum kit to accomplish that would be a custom top A arm, a crossmember to unibody spacer, and a custom control arm bracket.

Its true that everything from the top A-arm up is identical to all the other AMC's after 1970. Their kit shown on page 5 of the link would be a good place to start. Its apparent that they used original ball joints so our Eagle spindle and wheel bearing assemblies would be directly compatible. It would be easier to modify their kit than to make your own from scratch. The catch is that if you had the skills and resources to do the necessary modifications, you would probably not be willing to spend the money they want for their kit and you would then just end up choosing to make the whole thing.

Their upper arm is intended to have the coilover shock go through the center of it and attach to the lower control arm. That would not work because we have a CV shaft in that area. We would have to add a landing area on the top A arm for the bottom of the shock. Then we'd need to use a stock shock and spring or push their shock up higher into the original shock tower. The Eagle lower control arm is very similar to the Spirit one they based theirs off of except that it is flatter because the entire cross member is thicker and lower on the Eagle.

I think this company would see sales to Eagle owners if they offered a bolt together only kit that raised an Eagle 3 inches while keeping the CV shafts straight and using the original crossmember and axle supports. This is rather possible but also rather complicated because you would need to use the original upper control arm bolt locations. One person here on the nest pulled that off but had to machine a custom spindle that was longer than original. Ideally it would be better to change the A arms than the cast spindle but it takes much more work to maintain the original geometry.

In my future projects I plan on replacing the entire front subframe and incorporating the upper control arm bolts to solve that issue in a different method. I could incorporate a minor lift easily by welding in a new subframe and lower shock tower instead of changing the original hardware or geometry. That is a better solution for a rusted out Eagle that already needs subframe reinforcement. Obviously it would be much more involved than a bolt together solution like this company could potentially offer.

Thanks for the great link! Its inspirational.
Been contemplating on this one for quite a while.  Have figured out pretty much all of how to do it. Just gotta get off my duff and get a car to work on.
73 AMX/Javelin, 79 Spirit, 81 SX4, 87 Comanche, 02 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 86 2dr Cherokee, 70 AMX 390 4 Spd.

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:51:12 AM »
If we just spaced the drive train down do you think there would be leaverage problems on the origanal mounting points? going with 2 to 3 inches of lift. from the countless hour that i have stared at it, it "seems" like it could be done with a little plating. but our buddy leaverage makes me nervous. any thoughts?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 09:00:56 AM »
If we just spaced the drive train down do you think there would be leaverage problems on the origanal mounting points? going with 2 to 3 inches of lift. from the countless hour that i have stared at it, it "seems" like it could be done with a little plating. but our buddy leaverage makes me nervous. any thoughts?
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=36720.0
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 05:15:19 PM »
thank you for the link eaglefreek. the more i look into it i should just do a solid axle and build a sub frame.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk