News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 05, 2024, 12:01:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: looking for a valve cover  (Read 2828 times)

Offline caleb_fleming

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
looking for a valve cover
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
I've almost got my 85 Eagle running just right still need a few parts.  I was replacing the valve cover gasket the other day and cracked it on the top.  It's the plastic one they put on in the mid 80's. Was hoping someone on here has one to get rid of or can point me in the right direction.  Also wondering if thier is a metal one that I could replace it with I really just don't like how the plastic one fits on the head.  It's a little warped from the heat over the years.  Thanks for any help.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Re: looking for a valve cover
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:26:36 AM »
After market aluminum valve covers are readily available for these 258's. However you may find someone on here looking sell a used one....New they are around $100.00 last I checked.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline caleb_fleming

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »
Thanks guys I found the valve cover I needed on eBay for 79 bucks. Brand new aluminum cover with 4.2L on it prefect.  I love this site you guys have all the answers.  thanks again.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 06:35:45 PM »
What a coincidence...I'm also looking for a new valve cover. Do the 4.0 and 4.2 covers swap with each other? I find nothing but plastic ones in the junkyards and the last time I tried to undo an aluminum cover, I snapped it. I've been looking at the cheap Spectre and Trans-Dapt chrome covers on Summit Racing but they don't say they'll replace a factory plastic cover. Am I missing something or is this just the classic case of making every AMC restoration into an I-know-nothing chore?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:38:48 PM »
What a coincidence...I'm also looking for a new valve cover. Do the 4.0 and 4.2 covers swap with each other? I find nothing but plastic ones in the junkyards and the last time I tried to undo an aluminum cover, I snapped it. I've been looking at the cheap Spectre and Trans-Dapt chrome covers on Summit Racing but they don't say they'll replace a factory plastic cover. Am I missing something or is this just the classic case of making every AMC restoration into an I-know-nothing chore?
Your best bet is to get the aftermarket Aluminum, for the cost of the Good plastic cover gasket ($60 last I looked) you're almost there. Just be very careful with the taps.

There are three valve cover patters common on AMCs, and the Eagle used all three. 80 and early 81 were steel; 81-87 were plastic; Beginning mid-87 were Aluminum and were continued unchanged on the 4.0 head.

They all mount to the head in different ways with unique bolt patterns, and are not easily exchanged.

My original engine had an aluminum cover. If you're ever removing the Aluminum cover there is a bolt on the back at the firewall that's darn near impossible to get to, weather aftermarket or stock 87+. Also, the gasket is sealed from the factory with goop, bring a utility knife and a putty knife.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 02:28:50 PM »
With the proper extension and u joint that bolt is easy as sin to get. i forget what size bolt exactly, but small socket extension size to come to the top of the valve cover than ujoint another extension and 1/4" ratchet. should get it. i use air tools but it should only be seconds

Manitowoc WI

Prafeston

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 09:49:59 PM »
There is a huge thread on this aftermarket valve cover replacement. It's long but there is a ton of good info there.

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=7597.0

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 09:29:52 PM »
There are at least 3 different 4.0 and 4.2L valve cover patterns.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk