News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 20, 2024, 07:02:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coil spring removal tool  (Read 11529 times)

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
Re: Coil spring removal tool
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 09:41:42 AM »
what I have is what Standup pictured. I don't trust the clamp type....
Michael Maskalans
Codriver, Game Day Racing - Ultra4 #571
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s
'97 Ram 3500 - 13sp RoadRanger

'87 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Saint Michael" - Daily driver status.
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/auto "Swamp Thing" - project in need of a bath
'84 Eagle Wagon 258/4sp - parts car

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 10:11:19 AM »
I also use a ratchet strap around the clamps and spring. probably don't need to but a buddy of mine has what he calls a "spring cannon" witch is a old chevy coil spring and some neat fab work around it (i wont post pics or describe further because this thing is dangerous!!) and what i have seen this thing do just on spring power makes me very very nervous about the landmine that is a compressed spring.

Mr.Mindless,
Did you have to cut one down? I guess i could have not but it fits better with it cut.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
Be careful you lube the threads on those parts store compressors. The number of times people have tried to return them after galling the threads (no lube = no warranty) and one snapped off, releasing a Rambler spring through his fender! (after I personally warned him NOT to use this kind for his car)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 01:30:58 PM »
I've never done springs on an Eagle, picked that up for my Jetta McPhearson struts and it worked fine there in similarly tight quarters
Michael Maskalans
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 03:10:45 PM »
Here is what i use in action

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 01:13:55 AM »
I was so worried I got the wrong springs for mine. I compared the ones I had (thought they were from the '81 wagon I parted a couple years ago) to the new ones and they were bigger around so I thought I got full size car ones by mistake, but I didn't, so I'm stoked! They were ordered for '78 Concord wagon with V8 and AC as those had the highest spring rate/free standing size.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 04:16:42 PM »
The best/cheapest spring compressor for the job is the one that fits down the center with one long bolt. I got mine at Advance Auto. It's still a tight fit, but it holds strong when compressed and you can use an impact wrench (lightly) with extension from up top. Otherwise, it will take forever turning the compressor(s) with a wrench, and most ratchets won't fit.

The strut compressors will need to be cut down to work correctly, as stated already, but I find them much more dangerous. I  tried them the first time because I had some already, and they slid loose multiple times, mostly releasing the spring. The spring will also be extremely difficult to put back in place with these, so I would suggest not using them.

The more expensive single action compressor, such as the one at Harbor Freight Tools, works also, but can be kind of annoying. Probably the best option, although they are very cheaply made.

No matter what you do, be sure to lubricate the compressor threads with PB blaster or any similar oil. The job isn't too difficult, as long as your shocks, perches, and control arms aren't rust welded together... like mine were  ::)

1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline mr.mindless

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Rochester NY
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 09:39:34 AM »
be sure to lubricate the compressor threads with PB blaster or any similar oil.
For that job you should really use grease, not light oil...
Michael Maskalans
'98 Dakota - tons & 42s

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »
My spring compressor is about 40 years old and always gets oiled with ATF and recently PB'Laster. Just do NOT run them dry!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk