News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 03:23:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What Are The Common Leak Points on Factory Auto Trans  (Read 5716 times)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
What Are The Common Leak Points on Factory Auto Trans
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:54:51 AM »
Bucket keeps peeing herself in my garage.  When I purchased her in October, she wasn't shifting quite right so I purchase a filter/gasket kit for the tranny.  Replaced and refilled fluid.  She drives PERFECT now, no issues except she leaves spots all over when sitting.  I replaced the tranny pan gasket and felt it was snug and non-warped.  I didn't use any RTV or anything as I didn't feel I needed to. 

Should I?

Is there something better than RTV?

I can't tell exactly where it's coming from and it's making a mess. 

Are there known leak points above the pan?

If I have to pull the pan again I will probably add a drain plug for the tranny to make it less messy in the future.  Might add a magnet to pick up any debris too.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
Re: What Are The Common Leak Points on Factory Auto Trans
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »
shifter seal is a common one.  It can be done while the trans in the car -- I think MoPar or parts stores have a tool just for this to make it a lot easier.   Also out of the vent if overfilled.   If it performs well with no jerking or hard shifts then the front seal is probably good -- they get destroyed when the converter input shaft lugs crack and spread apart.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »
All I have to say is good luck.I to changed my trans filter and have sense dropped the pan three times trying to stop the drip.Cork gasket,rubber gasket and finally used some stuff called the right stuff.Supposed to be the best stuff available and it still drips. Have a large pan under it now until I figure out how to stop the drip.Thinking about two gaskets and using the right stuff and try one more time.Had I had known it was going to be such a problem not sure I would have changed the filter or maybe took it in to a service center and paid them to do it.Quite fustrated to say the least.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »

HI    did you try the dip stick tube or filer tube......Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 02:02:48 PM »
All I have to say is good luck.I to changed my trans filter and have sense dropped the pan three times trying to stop the drip.Cork gasket,rubber gasket and finally used some stuff called the right stuff.Supposed to be the best stuff available and it still drips. Have a large pan under it now until I figure out how to stop the drip.Thinking about two gaskets and using the right stuff and try one more time.Had I had known it was going to be such a problem not sure I would have changed the filter or maybe took it in to a service center and paid them to do it.Quite fustrated to say the least.

Did you make sure the pan mounting surface is flat and the dimples are gone from the mounting holes (usually happens when over tightened)?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 02:05:01 PM »
I'll recheck when I re-do the seal.  I was even thinking of machining an exterior piece of steel/aluminum that fot over the bolt ring of the tranny pan, allowing me to torque down some real fasteners on the pan.

BFF (Brute Force Fix)
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
Bff will do nothing but allow it to leak. which possibly is what happened in the first place.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 03:30:59 PM »
Well I'm gonna wait and see how yours turns out before I tackle mine again! Everytime I took mine dowm I'd check for flatness, pounded the dimples flat,even when so far as to place it on a table with a small 12volt light under it looking for light to show from under it and it still drips.So you go guy and I'll wait and see.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 03:34:08 PM »
Currently, everything is snug but not over tightened.  Everything looked true before reinatallation.    It will be a couple weeks form now most likely but I definitely want to see this one through sooner than later.  I can't stand a car that's not potty trained.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »
I concur with what IE says.   The shifter seal is most likely the problem.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 10:48:24 PM »
Shifter linkage, sometimes the NSS gets a crack or the o-ring leaks, dipstick tube o-ring, trans cooling lines and the nastiest one of all. The rear band pivot shaft. Only accessible with the tailstock off, but seal-all and right stuff can seal them if you use brake clean to remove as much grease as possible.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 12:41:01 AM »
My trans pan was ridiculous to seal up, and it took forever.

Didn't work with RTV/gasket at all, didn't work with rubber gasket alone. Multiple bolt holes had stripped out threads, causing the bolts to just spin. After tapping three new sets of threads and getting new, larger bolts to fit in them, I used the rubber gasket and spread dielectric grease on both sides. I then put blue threadlocker on each of the 14 bolts, tightened to spec with my in/lb torque wrench, and played the waiting game for 24 hours while everything cured (before filling and/or running). Shift kit installed, and happily NO LEAKS! ;D

I would also highly suggest installing a drain plug. Only about $3 at the auto store, and I don't think I could've done it all those times without one.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk