News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 16, 2024, 03:48:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carburetor Quandry  (Read 2816 times)

AMC83

Carburetor Quandry
« on: December 29, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »
Hi everyone,

I hope that you're all having a really nice holiday season.  I have my '83 Limited Eagle Wagon in the shop right now and I'm having a really frustrating time figuring out what to do with the carburetor because I get different advice from all of the experts.  The original Carter was a dog, predictably, and would often most often stall on hot days while going up steep hills here in Spokane.  I replaced that carb with a rebuilt one by Holley, so I thought, that I purchased through O'Reilly's about 3 months ago.  I found out from the mechanic this morning that this new carb is leaking, so I'll have to replace it under warranty.  The bigger issue is that I'm not sure which carb I actually need because the mechanic claimed that I should get a carb without electronics but apparently Holley only provides a carb that's either high altitude or not (not a matter of electronics or not).  I live at about 2,400 feet (64-1591 or 64-1591A- Altitude version, the latter of which is recommended in my area on OR's website).  I'm right on the elevation cusp and I don't want to pick the wrong one.  To complicate matters more, O'Reilly claims that they only have access to Tomco rebuild carbs.  In that case, I have the choice of one with (#2-904) or without the electronic feedback valve (#2-912) I have no idea what to do but I'm spending a lot of time and money on the car to deal with it's cold starting and bad fuel economy in particular.

Help!  Which carb should I order depending on whether it's Tomco (with or without the feedback valve) or Holley (high altitude or not).  I'm getting different stories depending on which parts store I talk to, the mechanic or one of the local carb shops.  What a mess.  Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Regards,

Matt Hedman (AMC83)
[email protected]
Spokane, WA

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Carburetor Quandry
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 02:03:30 AM »
If you do the non-electronic one, it'll bypass the computer so you will need to do the ECM Test bypass.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

AMC83

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:00:59 AM »
Okay, thanks.  The carb shop said that I had MUST use a carburetor with electronics, otherwise, my Eagle won't run properly.  Sadly, I'm not any kind of mechanic and I'm paying the price as a result (literally and figuratively).  I didn't know what an ECM test is but I check the link in the the forum eagleopedia.  Does this mean that I have a option between the two types or am I better served to stick with the electronic version?  (it sounds like I am).  Is there any advantage/disadvantage between whether I use the Holley or the Tomco? (May only have the option of the Tomco regardless). 

Matt

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:39:19 AM »
Do the ECM Test and buy a Motorcraft 2100 carb from Gronk, who is a nest member here.  I bought one of his carbs three years ago and it works great.  He has many satisfied customers and installation is very easy.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:44:11 AM »
Hello,

You do NOT have to have the electronic feedback carter.  Your mechanic is is just probably unfamiliar with what you really have going on.  Most mechanics do not understand the carter BBD because it is unique in a few ways.

You can get the non-computer carter and do the bypass.  It's simple and efficient.  I recommend it f you plan on keeping the carter.

My real suggestion is to get your $$$ back on the leaking carb and get a Motorcraft.  no mechanic needed to install.

I can help you with this process as can many members on this site.

Here's a pic of my 83 limited with a Motorcraft 2150 installed. 

install and tune tool under 90 minutes and it runs like a gem.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 12:11:28 PM »
the best way to get rid of these problems is by installing the motorcraft one . it is
very easy and painless, btw you need to go with the ECM Test
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 08:17:16 AM »
Any follow up on this one?
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon