News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 12:07:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transfer case problems???  (Read 6947 times)

Offline Suzi

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Transfer case problems???
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
All of a sudden there is a very strange noise coming from underneath my '84 Eagle sedan.  It happens whenever I apply the brakes but doesn't do it when driving.  My husband thought a brake hang-up or loose muffler but that is not the case so now he's guessing the transfer case (please, no).  It sounds like a bucket of mashed up hunks of metal.  Shes home now and waiting for hubby to start on her but I told him I was going to attempt to pick the member's brains on here and see if you can come up with anything.  You guys have helped me before and I"m sure hoping you can help me now.  I also have a junk '83 AMC wagon which is hanging around to supply parts.  HELP ...... :help:  BTW - I leave it in 4WD year 'round (probably something I shouldn't do, huh?).  Suzi

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Transfer case problems???
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »
It should be fine leaving it in 4WD rear round but it does put extra stress on the chain. It could be the transfer case chain is stretched and you hear it banging on the case when decelerating. When coming to a stop, put the car in neutral and then hit the brakes to see if there is a difference. Also check your engine and transmission mounts.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:15:07 PM »
You said "happens when you apply the brakes but doesn't do it when driving" ---> Look at the brakes. Grinding sounds from brakes usually means the friction surfaces have worn down to where the rivets that attatch the friction material to the metal backing of the shoes and pads can make contact with the drum or disk. Did you actually look inside the drums or up front at the rotors, or did you just jack up the car and check to see if the wheels spin freely?

Mud/gravel inside a brake drum from recent off road activity could also make some grinding sounds when the brakes are applied.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 07:07:02 PM »
Not likely the transfer case if it happens when braking,they usually make noise when accelerating. As txjeeptx said it is likely the brakes are worn out or falling apart. Need to pull the tires and check and the rear drums.

Offline Suzi

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 08:58:18 PM »
Thank you all ------ tomorrow is supposed to be a lovely day (although HOT) so rear wheels will be pulled and thoroughly checked.  Will let you all know if something is found in there.  I'm too afraid to take the car out on the road again because this noise is LOUD, and the noise won't duplicate while the car is up on jacks and spinning the wheels.  Thank you for your suggestions ...........

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 10:07:11 PM »
 :hello:

Check front CV joints too ... ya just never know.     Let us know what you find  !!

Regards, Iron Horse ;D

Offline Suzi

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »
:hello:

Check front CV joints too ... ya just never know.     Let us know what you find  !!

Regards, Iron Horse ;D

Wheels pulled, rear end opened and checked out - transfer case was a bit low on grease - hubby can't find any problem.  Maybe tomorrow will take her out on the road for a short drive 'cause she won't make the noise going back and forth on the driveway (and it's 1/4 mile long).  I sure know I didn't imagine this because hubby was with me at the time and he stopped the car and was out in a flash to check muffler system and feel hubcaps for heat.

Will let you know when he finds the problem   .... ........... thanks for the suggestions!

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 05:57:59 AM »
Check the front rotors and lining!!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »
If there was a bunch of brake dust in the rear drums, it can make noises like bad brakes.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline SNOWMAGEDDON

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 11:11:09 PM »
Hi
Does this post really end with Carnuck? I wanted to know the outcome

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 08:12:22 PM »
She has not logged on since July and the part about grease in the transfer case worries me.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk