News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 04:50:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coil Springs... again I'm sure  (Read 4522 times)

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
Coil Springs... again I'm sure
« on: January 27, 2012, 06:25:34 PM »
I've searched up & down the threads, but I'm not quite finding what I'm looking for.  Anyone that has done the replacement coils for a front lift, which did you use, I've read that the 70 Javelin is a good donor, but there seem to be 3 different heights, and it seems to be 5 ltr (304ci  I think) with & without air and 360 with & without air, the 5ltr with air seems to be the same spring as the 360 without, but that still gives 3 choices and each step is like 3/4" longer free height, that could be 1-1.5" more lift per step.

So I'm trying to  get a better handle on which is my best candidate based on what others have used, and how much lift you got.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:38:24 PM by doc65 »

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Coil Springs... again I'm sure
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:17:07 PM »
I bought a set for a Concord wagon with 304 and AC but I haven't had time to test them yet.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 04:17:38 AM »
I got the Espo springs and things coils for my car and I swear it brought the car up 1.5 inches.  I had my rear leaf springs built with 1.5" of lift and after the new coils installed the car sat level and not 1.5 higher in the back. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 09:21:44 AM »
Dave,

I went back & forth thru spec sheets on monroe & gabriel shocks & it looks like the Fronts will come from a 70 ish Mustang & the rears from a Nissan Xterra, sorry don't remember the year.

Doc

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
I got the Espo springs and things coils for my car and I swear it brought the car up 1.5 inches.  I had my rear leaf springs built with 1.5" of lift and after the new coils installed the car sat level and not 1.5 higher in the back. 
The last couple of days I have been researching a way to get a little more lift on my wagon since I lost an inch after installing the winch bumper. I guess it was known, I didn't know till yesterday, that ESPO sells Javelin springs as Eagle springs. According to captspillane in another thread, Eagles had a smaller diameter wire than Javelins for the spring. Which would explain why the front is higher when using an ESPO spring.

Doug posted this on another forum a few years ago.
1970 Javelin/AMX v8 No a/c

3112 - Front Coil Spring

Inside Diameter (inch) = 5.020
Bar Diameter (inch) = .687
Install Height (inch) = 9.5
Load (lbs.) = 1591
Spring Rate (Lbs/inch) = 306.6
Free Height (inch) = 14.38

------------------------
1970 V8 with A/C

3156 - Front Coil Spring

Bar Diameter (inch) = .687
Load (lbs.) = 1690
Spring Rate (Lbs/inch) = 311.2
Free Height (inch) = 14.92

---------------------------
1970 6 cyl with A/C

3140 - Front Coil Spring

Bar Diameter (inch) = .656
Load (lbs.) = 1490
Spring Rate (Lbs/inch) = 275.6
Free Height (inch) = 14.94

----------------------------

Eagle Front coil springs:
 4 cyl no a/c                    Espo 3140
 4 cyl with a/c                  Espo 3112
 6 cyl no a/c                    Espo 3112
 6 cyl with a/c                  Espo 3156

I'm gonna give www.coilsprings.com a call in the next few days and see if they have an option for me. I have a 1/2" spacer and could just replace it with a 1" spacer to get the inch back, but would rather not.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk