News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 03, 2024, 12:03:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how to remove vibration damper pulley/harmonic balancer?  (Read 9726 times)

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
how to remove vibration damper pulley/harmonic balancer?
« on: November 24, 2011, 08:34:44 PM »
trying to get everything apart for the timing set replacement and having quite a bit of trouble getting the 3/4" bolt that secures the vibration damper pulley off.  i tried using the strap wrench as suggested in the eaglepedia, but strap itself snapped under the tension.

does anyone else have any ideas?  i was thinking to somehow block it with a bar of some sort but i can't think of any place that will keep it immobilized...
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...
2150 swap...tf727/np229 swap...258 megabuild in the works...

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
Re: how to remove vibration damper pulley/harmonic balancer?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »
I had a breaker bar on it to keep the motor from turning over when we removed the flexplate bolts and we ended up breaking the balancer bolt loose instead on the 3rd one. It wasn't hard to use a pry par engaged with the ring gear to hold it still, you'll just need a second person to hold it if you do it that way.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:06:54 PM »
if only i had an impact gun...

Take a spark plug out and feed a rope into the cylinder. That'll keep the engine from rolling over when you're trying to remove the bolt. Make sure to leave a bit of the rope outside the cylinder in order to remove it after.

how much rope?  this doesn't get stuck in the engine, does it?

I had a breaker bar on it to keep the motor from turning over when we removed the flexplate bolts and we ended up breaking the balancer bolt loose instead on the 3rd one. It wasn't hard to use a pry par engaged with the ring gear to hold it still, you'll just need a second person to hold it if you do it that way.

like wedge a pry bar in the pulley against the ground?

1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:28:19 PM »
I think what he means, and this is in my imagination only. Is feed enough rope into the cylinder ( but yes leave some hanging out ) ( and be sure to put it into a cylinder that the piston is down some of the way) the rope will then stop the piston from comeing up all the way thus stop the engine from turning over.I would think clothesline would fit in a plug hole.I have NEVER done this but seems like a good idea if your by yourself.

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »
The clothesline tip is an old tip for replacing valve stem seals without removing the head. It's a good trick, get a thicker rope if you can, nice and soft so it goes in easily.

Give the bolt some good penetrating oil, and clean the threads with a wire brush first, and try working back and forth, which will be hard with the rope I'm sure.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 10:03:09 PM »
rope did the trick.  leave it in until i put it all back together i assume?
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 11:09:29 PM »
I had to do this a few months back and it was a bit awkward. It's my spare block so this probably won't work for you guys unless it's out of the vehicle like mine. I used a simple puller. I undid the three small bolts, took them to NAPA and asked for extended ones. After $2 in parts I used those bolts to thread into the balancer, centered the puller and just kept turning until it came free.

The center bolt came free very easily with a bit of blunt force. The engine was sludged up pretty good and the purpose of this disassembly is because it was frozen. I'm certain you would almost have to have some impact tool to break it free. Very nasty.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:13:27 PM by DaemonForce »
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 01:18:13 AM »

Nope. It's done it's job.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 03:58:25 AM »

Nope. It's done it's job.

Than how would you properly tighten the bolt without turning the motor when putting it together?

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 10:24:30 AM »
Breaker bar tapped with a rubber mallet. Tap the balancer on with the mallet, tighten the bolt, tap the balancer again and re-check the bolt till it's not loose. Torque wrench to double check at the end. Motor usually will sit still long enough for that. Otherwise the motor will turn with the rope still in there. Without a knot in the end, it may go all the way in!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
Motor will turn until it hits the rope again. Than its done turning.

Manitowoc WI

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »
take apart the starter and block the flywheel is far better and easier than the rope trick, both them work the same . good luck on the work
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 12:54:52 PM »
Glad it worked out for you. A compressor and air tools are invaluable for working on vehicles. Another method is to use a breaker bar by putting on the ground, disconnect coil wire and bump the starter.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 11:04:52 PM »
I'd pull it back out because it'll draw moisture. As long as it can't get sucked it it shouldn't be too bad for a short while, just don't forget about it.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk